Angel fish sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hanziie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a angel fish named spyro ive always referred to him as a boy but im not 100% sure does anoy one know what sex this little dude is IMG_6903.jpg
IMG_6904.jpg

Hanziie
I'm not really your go to Angel fish guy, but over the years I have kept them. My guess is that your he is really a she. It's difficult to say for sure from the pics, but I base my opinion on the elongated angle of the dorsal fin, lack of a noticeable forehead bump and a lack of end forking of the feeler fins.
The male Angel will have a dorsal fin that is set close to a 90 degree angle in relation to its small forehead bump.

The dorsal fin normal stick up higher just when i get near the tank spyro feels the need to follow my ever movement thanks for that....the name spyro doesnt really seem to fit her now ?

Most angels need to be seen spawning to be sexed .
If you have another angel you be able to tell if they both show their tubes .
The males will be pointier and the females fatter..
Fins and humps are things todays breedings have made not sexually exclusive..

If i was to get another angel fish would my current one attitude change as shes sooo friendly and i dont want that to change i was also advised to not to get another one!

Matching angels is tough and even if they pair they are not always friendly..
Be happy with one IMO.

Looks like a female and also looks ready to breed looking at the bottom of her. Love the white sailfin Molly by the way. And if you wanted to mate her look for one the same size with a rounder head on the top. It will be hard to mate. But you can always try a stress coat in the tank when adding the new one. Along with moving things around in the tank so she don't think that it's all hers. Might help alittle. I hope the better for you. Make sure you got some slate for eggs.

it does look female but almost impossible to tell. Not all males have a hump on their forehead. Fin angle and split ventral fins are a figment of someones imagination and have nothing to do with the sex of the fish. If you get another one, this one will try to dominate. If the new one decides to put up a fight things could get hectic. Also possible the new one could instantly become great friends with this one. You pays your money and you takes your chances

As CB stated above, I wait and see when they pair off - When fully grown its a little easier because in general the males are usually a lot larger.
When I sell Angels I do not offer them sexed Unless I'm selling a known Breeding Pair(Meaning I witnessed them sitting on the couch listening to Barry White)

Back
Top Bottom