angel fishies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is the 20 gal. tank big enough? PLEASE read the whole post before voting!

• Total voters

zelilaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
:BIG: Angel fish are awesome, and i want to learn more about them. In a year or two I might get a nice 20 gallon tank, and i'd like to have some angelfish. ALSO, please do the poll on your opinion on whether a 20 gallon is big enough, or I if i should just not risk it and get angelfish. Because I really want them and im willing to not get any other fish in there to make room for them.:grab: Sooo I wanted to know..

• What fish can angel fish put with? I don't only want angelfish. Since it would be only a 20 gallon tank and 15 is the minimum for angelfish, what kind of fish can I put in with them?

• Specifically, can I put in catfish :cat: or guppies with angelfish in a 20 gal.?IDK what kind of catfish... which ever would be best. Im researching cat fish next. :pimp:

• Since it would be a 20 gal. tank, and I want other fish with them, how many angel fish should I get? I know 6 is best, but wouldn't they get super freaking crowded?! I don't want to over fill at all! :invasion:
  • They eat floating flakes, and freeze dried worms or brine shrimp, but how much? And don;t gimme the how much they can eat in 5 minutes garbage, cause idk how much they can eat in 5 minutes or I wouldn't be asking! What I mean is like, one betta only eats 2 - 3 pellets OR 1 freeze dried blood worm per day. So what does one angel fish eat per day, and how do I vary it's diet? Be specific!

• Which fish can they NOT be paired with? I don't want fish eating each other!! :eating:
Ok well those are meh questions... I'm a total angel fish noobie, so let me know! Saying the most OBVIOUS things are OK because i might not know them because i'm stupid. :n00b::microwave:Thank you!

A 20 is too small for an angel for life. A 29 would be the minimum that I'd consider keeping an adult angel in.

Oh and uh, I DID do a bunch of research, but I couldn't find enough information to answer all my questions. I know things like 6.6 - 7.2 ph, 77-80 Farenheit, Grows up to 6 inches... average is 4.. pairs off with mates, (I know ALL about breeding them I read a whole chapter in a book about breeding fresh water fish about them, but I have no interest now or ever in breeding fish!) etc.

Oh and uh, I DID do a bunch of research, but I couldn't find enough information to answer all my questions. I know things like 6.6 - 7.2 ph, 77-80 Farenheit, Grows up to 6 inches... average is 4.. pairs off with mates, (I know ALL about breeding them I read a whole chapter in a book about breeding fresh water fish about them, but I have no interest now or ever in breeding fish!) etc.

try 10-12 inches in full adult size, Ph 5.5-7.0 is best

Books give you a good idea, they dont give you total knowledge.

In short a 20g is WAY too small for a single angel let alone more. A 29g is good for one and ONE angel only.

my angel fry eat every 2 hours over a 16 hour span and my adults eat 3-4 times a day. there is no 5 minute rule. and from your first post it looks like one of those informational or lack of informational flyers you can pick up at petco and petsmart.

Being an angel breeder and owning them for years ID say no tank smaller then 40g Tall for a single pair of angels. They are aggressive,they are cichlids.

guppies will be fine, as well as most catfish, id stick to corydoras though for size and efficiency of cleaning.

If you are set on a 20g tank, you can add other communial non fin nippers to that tank and toss the betta in there. I do not suggest using again anything under 40g for a pair of angels. Angels are schooling fish as well keep that in mind.

If you want 6 id get a 75g+ tank.

+1 to the above posts. they get very large and i've heard that some of them will eat any fish that fits in it's mouth. i think it may be different from angel to angel, though.

It is different from fish to fish, I got a pair that will eat and attack anything no matter what size it is then I got 10 others that could care less.

Ive seen them eat smaller guppies and smaller tetras.

Ive got 4 larger angel tanks set up here. smallest is a 40g glasscages.com cube for fry grow out, 210 for the discus and female angels, 45H with 5 angels(one older pair and 3 non aggressive angels) then my 52 that has 1 pair of angels in it due to their aggression.

I think you need to rethink your stock or the size of the tank you are getting.

Other options for a 20 gal could be dwarf gourami, the powder blue and flames stay about 3" or so. Also agree with a previous post that cory cats would be good be but sure you get 4+ as they like to be in groups. Also like black skirt tetras but these are just my preferences.

Angels

I have a pair in a 35 high and when they put eggs on a plant the roommates get their workout.

20 gallon won't cut it. Go with 40 or higher and they tend to like taller tanks, but a 40 long or a 55 will work just fine. There is a ton of info out on ht eweb about these and you can watch them on you tube.

Ok! I changed my mind about the angels anyways... imma stick to bettas for now their so addictive :D (and a heck of a lot easier!!!) So thanks everyone. But I do have to say that 75+ for 6 is a leeeetle ridiculous. My dad has owned lots of angel fish before in 26-55 gal. tanks so... but w.e because im not gonna get them. thanks for the votes everyone! (can someone close this thread please?)

Back
Top Bottom