Angel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichildlife

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hat kind of set ups do angels like. I willl have 2 peaces of driftwood in the tank but wat else should i have? Any advice is appreciated

I read online a 20H was ok for a single pair with nothing else in the tank

Alright... Well i guess ill have to rethink my stocking.

i have a breeding pair of angels... i cant seem to get them to not eat the fry... (not meaning to hijack the thread) just my usual and useless 2 cents...

A few tall plants would be good. I don't really recommend 20 high for pairs, but some people do it and its your choice. Mine like to swim through my Amazon swords. I wouldn't put too much in there because they will probably appreciate having the swimming room.
Are you getting juveniles or an older, established pair?

Idk yet. Prolly getting a sword or two and a piece of driftwood

Idk yet. Prolly getting a sword or two and a piece of driftwood
I was asking bout the ages because a 20 high is best for a mated pair. There isn't really enough space for 2 angels to set up their own territories IMO. So, if you get juveniles, keep an eye of them for fighting. You can try to start with 3 or 4 and rehome any that don't make a pair. But, I am not sure if 20 is enough space for them to get big enough to pair up. So, if you just get 2, beware that they might not get along and you may have to re-home one and try again with a different angel. Thats all.

a 20H is the bare minimum for a single angel in my opinion. Even a 29g is tight for a pair (learned the hard way myself). AS posted earlier, unless it is an already mated pair, anything shy of a 55g can lead to territorial disputes and unhappy/dead fish. If growing out small angels, then you can get by with the 20H for a while - but they will establish a pecking order, and eventually will crowd each other and trouble will come. I have experienced this...

As far as what they like - driftwood and plants (vehicle plants especially), plus some open room for swimming around.

Yea i think im going to get 4 nd once a pair is made nd sell the others

So how come ppl say angels are hard to keep?

For 2 reasons:

1) some of the stock out there these days is poor quality. I got lucky with my 4, they've grown up nicely and are very healthy.

2) aggression issues. Angels can be very aggressive, or not. It's all dependent on the fish. Mine are 2 years old and live with neons, they have yet to make a snack out of them, nor do they constantly fight amongst themselves. Only when it's spawning time to I see any aggression.

For 2 reasons:

1) some of the stock out there these days is poor quality. I got lucky with my 4, they've grown up nicely and are very healthy.

2) aggression issues. Angels can be very aggressive, or not. It's all dependent on the fish. Mine are 2 years old and live with neons, they have yet to make a snack out of them, nor do they constantly fight amongst themselves. Only when it's spawning time to I see any aggression.
:agree:Lots of people buy small angelfish that spontaneously die later in pristine water. All my babies grew up nicely as well, but I know other people certainly do have that experience.
Also, they are cichlids, so the potential for aggression is certainly there. Some are very peaceful, many are not. Also, you should be careful about what you stock with them because of the potential aggression and predation issues that arise with this species. But, they are individuals, so you never really know what you are going to get get until they pass adolescence. :) Many bust through the stereo-types we give them, many others just build the labels further.

Back
Top Bottom