Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angel tank mates

I have a lone angel in a 29 gallon tank and was wondering if I could put any other fish in there. Here's a pic of the tank
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423144700.002817.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	263353
She's full grown so it would have to be a hardy semi-aggressive fish. All opinions are welcome.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angel Tank Mates

Hello bouncy...

Angels are cichlids. These fish are generally aggressive at meal time. I would say any medium sized fish that's peaceful would be fine. You don't want more aggressive species, they can be fin nippers. Not a good tank mate for an Angel. Corydoras and some of the peaceful livebearing fish like Platys and Swordtails would work. Your tank is pretty small, though and female Platys and Swordtails can get fairly large. Your call.

B

Old 02-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really like corys so how many should I put in I heard that they are a schooling species so would 4 or 5 be ok?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corydoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncybubbles View Post
I really like corys so how many should I put in I heard that they are a schooling species so would 4 or 5 be ok?

Hello again...

Corys are a shoaling fish, not a schooling fish. Watch Tetras some time, those are schooling fish. Albino Corys are hardy and available at most pet stores. They don't get very big, under 2 inches. I would stock one for every 5 gallons of tank volume. The more, the better depending on the size of the tank. A 30 G tank could support 6 or even 8, males are much smaller. You'll need to keep the tank water extremely clean for Corys, or bacteria from dissolved fish wastes in the water will damage their barbels (feelers). I'd work up to the point you're changing half the tank water at least every week. If you're not doing this already, then remove and replace a little more each week until you get to that 50 percent.

A nicely planted bottom with some Anubias or Java fern attached to pieces of lava rock attached with dark cotton sewing thread will provide a bit of cover. Leave a little open area in the back of the tank for swimming. Corys like a shaded tank, so some floating plants like Hornwort or Anacharis are good too.

Have fun!

B
Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So my angel laid some eggs today. Do you think I could try to find a male and put him in with her or is the tank not big enough?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's big enough for a pair.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so if I get another angel nothing else can go in because there wouldn't be enough room right?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a breeding pair in a 29 you just need to make sure any tank mates would not be a threat to them. They will get territorial. You can find a few other fish to put in there though. If you want to raise babies you will need a grow out tank.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angel tank mates

Ooh I have an extra 55 laying around so I could move the parents to that and have the 29 be the grow out. Sound good? Now just to find the space 😂

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep sounds good. I have a mating pair in a 55 with tank mates. They occasionally chase another fish but there is enough room that no harm happens. You don't want a third wheel angel in there though. It will get beat up.

Tags
angel, ate, mate, tan, tank, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com