Angel Tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithpants94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal planted tank. There are three angelfish and a school of about 10 cories and a botia loach...

My mid and top levels seem sort of empty with just the three angels and nothing else.

I was wondering what could hold their own in a tank like mine. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Angelfish Tankmates?

I have a 55gal planted tank. There are three angelfish and a school of about 10 cories and a botia loach...

My mid and top levels seem sort of empty with just the three angels and nothing else.

I was wondering what could hold their own in a tank like mine. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

For top level swimmers you can do Hatchet fish or Threadfin rainbows. For mid level you can use Cardinal or Rummynose tetra (but be sure not to get ones that are really tiny if your angelfish are above the body size of a quarter), Harlequin Rasbora's, or even Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish.

Your tank can't handle much more bioload wise. I would add 2 more of the loaches what type of botia is it? You could possibly do a school of cardinal or lemon tetras but how big are your angels?

You could go with some of the larger tetras since they have a small bio-load, like the skirted tetras. I would keep the school smallish, 10 at the most unless you re-home one angel, then I'd go 15-20. Flame Von Rios are pretty, not too large and easily available.

I've been thinking about hatchet and neons... I think my angels may be full sized. I just don't want this to be a feeding frenzy

Josh, I see where you're coming from with bio load but I have gone 2 weeks at a time in that tank and with my plant vs bio load I am under 5ppm nitrAte.. For now let's rule bio load as not a factor

You can't just rule out bioload you don't have to believe me it's up to you but you can't just rule out something like that. How big are they though like 6 inches tall and 5-6 inches long yet? But you need to add more loaches they need groups and what type? I would only add a group of 8 tetras on top of 2 more loaches.

Josh, I was just going for a "perfect world" situation, please don't take offense to that or look down on my fish keeping knowledge haha.

They seem to be about 4x4.5 inches right now.

I agree with the loaches, I'm definitely looking to bump them up.

I'm just looking for some more movement than I have now.

I'm not degrading your fish keeping ability I'm stating you can't just not think about bioload. Just saying. I'm done arguing best of luck.

I don't believe there was an argument in the first place..? I am agreeing that the bio load does matter but that I was looking at a "perfect world" bio loadless tank for advice on what fish specie would at movement to my tank. Thank you for your help, josh7. I'll definitely be looking for more advice from you in the future.

Wow thanks for that comment you never said a perfect world in your first post be clearer.

You can't just rule out bioload you don't have to believe me it's up to you but you can't just rule out something like that. How big are they though like 6 inches tall and 5-6 inches long yet? But you need to add more loaches they need groups and what type? I would only add a group of 8 tetras on top of 2 more loaches.

I agree here. With all of it. Bio-load will always be a factor when stocking a tank. After you pick your stock whether you have plants, it all boils down to tank size and filtration. 3 adult angels are a force to be reckon with especially if you have a pair. Bio-load simply helps you calculate (after you have your tank size and filtration capabilitys) the ammount of fish your tank can handle without constant daily water changes.

I meant at the beginning of the thread if that was the case I wouldn't of mentioned bioload.

It seems that we are have both misunderstood each other and are both equally right and equally wrong... I understand and respect everything you've said regarding this matter.. Truce?

Back
Top Bottom