angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xraytetralover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What size tank is good for an angel?
I've read that 10-15 gallons per angel is a good place to start. Does that mean that an angel can happily live in a 15 gallon tank if it provides enough room for their long fins?

I have a 16 gallon tank that is about 20tallX17longX10wide (i think) It's a bowfront tank. I have a small school of 6 Xray tetras and 4 corycats. Do you think an angelfish would be happy in this setup?

The tetras are calm (I never see them even nipping at each other) and about 1.5". Would an angel be tempted to eat them?

I think it may be possible for an angelfish in that tank. Ideally, the smallest tank for a PAIR of angels woud be a 20H. That tank you have has some height to it and you may be able to make it work. I doubt that it will go after the tetras unless they are weak/sick. A small angel shouldn't hurt them though.

I'm going to say I wouldn't put an Angel in a 15 gallon for one they can be a bit on the territorial side. I've read that the minimum tank requirement is atleast 29 Gallons. Angels do get quite large and will eat you're smaller fish. I've seen angels get to about 10 inches tall and 7 inches in length which is too small for a 16. Plus you already have a decent sized bioload for a 16 gallon. You may be able to get away with some other smaller fish but not an angel.

Just my opinion.

yeah i've read about a pair being in a 20 gallon. I just want 1 though so I'm hoping I can work one into this setup.

ok. Andrew- what would you suggest putting in the tank? It just looks pretty bare right now... I do water changes about every 5 days. So I'm thinking I can get away with a little bit more fish. Just making sure to do the research before adding any more fish.

Thanks for your opinions!

That's good that you're on water changing schedule you can definitely get a way with some more fish. I wish I had some good suggestions for fish to put in you're tank but I always have a hard time stocking tanks myself lol. I've been trying to figure out what to put in my 29 for awhile now and I still don't know and it's all set up =P. I find myself searching 29 gallon tanks on youtube and looking for fish all the time and then doing research on them which is kinda silly but it helped me pick out a few that I like perhaps you could try that.

But out of pure thought just now maybe a Dwarf Gourami would be nice.

With a heavily planted tank you should be fine. I've got 15 angelfish breeders in a 29 gallon tank and they are about quarter size+ to a little under the size of a dollar coin. I had two pair lay eggs in the past week. They wouldn't be doing that if they were stressed. I know my 29 is way overstocked but I keep up on the water changes and will be moving most of them over to my 100g tank soon. It's just a temporary home for them for now.

A 29 isn't the recommended minimum as far as angelfish goes, it's a 20H according to most angelfish breeders that I know. A 20H is also the minimum tank size required for a 5"+ pair of discus.

I agree that the tank may be at it's bioload right now because of the corys but that's the only thing that bothered me. If it's heavily planted you will be fine.

A 29 isn't the recommended minimum as far as angelfish goes, it's a 20H according to most angelfish breeders that I know. A 20H is also the minimum tank size required for a 5"+ pair of discus.

Good to know

haha Andrew I'm the same way. I've been doing research forever looking for a/some fish to add to my tank. I've been looking in petsmart (only store near me :/) and reading online but still can't really decide..

bs: I like your answer! :) I'm really liking the idea of an angel

I'm planning to get a pair for my 29 as well. BS since you have angelfish experience. Would it be alright to buy just 2? I don't really plan on breeding but if I end up getting a female and male then it would just be luck. Or would they harass eachother? In that case should I just get one?

haha Andrew I'm the same way. I've been doing research forever looking for a/some fish to add to my tank. I've been looking in petsmart (only store near me :/) and reading online but still can't really decide..

bs: I like your answer! :) I'm really liking the idea of an angel

Glad that you like my answer. I'm sure if I told you that it wouldn't work you'd be mad. You were very fortunate since it will work.

I'm planning to get a pair for my 29 as well. BS since you have angelfish experience. Would it be alright to buy just 2? I don't really plan on breeding but if I end up getting a female and male then it would just be luck. Or would they harass eachother? In that case should I just get one?

You pretty much have a 50% chance of getting a male and a female if you purchase two. BUT, just because there is a male and a female that doesn't guarantee any breeding activity. It would be alright to buy just two I guess. I like to buy large batches cheaply when the fish are young and let them pick their own partners. Then, I'd select the best pairings from the tank and sell the rest. This leaves me with inexpensive pairs that are producing offspring. I have some angels that I want to sell right now but you guys would only want a couple so it may not be worth it. They are standard fin silvers and most of them are starting to pair. Had one pair spawn for me and another time a female laid eggs but I don't think they were fertilized. I have counted 4 pairs total now in the tank. Let me know if you may be interested. Sorry to hijack the thread.

haha nah I wouldn't be mad at you, just dissapointed. But trust me, I wouldn't do something if majority of people tell me it's not going to work or the fish wouldn't be able to live happily.
But yes I'm very glad it could work in my situation. :)

Back
Top Bottom