angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egoraptor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I have three altums in a 35 the do good together but one of them broke it's stinger thing what do I do I love my altums plz help

Keep up your PWC and the angel will probably be fine.

If you notice white fuzz or stringyness from the injury site, do a large PWC and treat with melafix.

But if your water is clean, chances are the injured area will grow back like Angel said.

Part of the problem is probably the size of the tank in respect to the kind of fish you are trying to keep. Altums are large angel fish, they need a much larger tank. Not sure what you mean by stinger, but if it is rubbing/bumping/fighting, and causing things to break/tear, you most likely need a larger tank to fix the issue.

I believe the pelvic fins will sometimes regrow, but if not, it should be fine.

How big are your Altums? I would not put 3 regular Angels in a 35g, much less the big Altums. I assume you have a plan to upgrade them. :)

edit: I agree with Fort. Angels can be very aggressive to one another and if they are big enough to feel confined, this injury may not be the last one.

Part of the problem is probably the size of the tank in respect to the kind of fish you are trying to keep. Altums are large angel fish, they need a much larger tank. Not sure what you mean by stinger, but if it is rubbing/bumping/fighting, and causing things to break/tear, you most likely need a larger tank to fix the issue.
^agreed

I believe the pelvic fins will sometimes regrow, but if not, it should be fine.

How big are your Altums? I would not put 3 regular Angels in a 35g, much less the big Altums. I assume you have a plan to upgrade them. :)
+1

i also have angels that look like Angelfish56's profile pic(or avatar)and want to know what kind they are. how many can you put together in a 24'' cube tank? does the inch per gallon rule still apply to angels or different tank dimensions? do they eat little nuisance snails? lol, thanks
-doogle

doogle said:
i also have angels that look like Angelfish56's profile pic(or avatar)and want to know what kind they are. how many can you put together in a 24'' cube tank? does the inch per gallon rule still apply to angels or different tank dimensions? do they eat little nuisance snails? lol, thanks
-doogle

If I remember it's 10 gallons per angelfish but the petstore people say 20 gallons for the first angelfish then 10 for the other ones

does anyone know if angels will eat nuisance snails ?

I don't have any proof that angels will eat nuisance snails, but I have 4 in a 60 gallon tank that had a small breakout of pond snails after I added some plants from my lfs. That was about 2 months ago and yesterday I only saw one snail. That was the first snail I saw in about 2 weeks. The amount of snails I have has gone down and I suspect the angels took care of them for me.

-doogle

If I'm right the angel in the avatar pic is a scalare, not altum which will grow larger than scalares. Altums are usually caught wild whereas scalares are usually bred. The inch per fish rule really doesn't apply to angels in my opinion. As Egoraptor said the rule of thumb is at least 10 gallons for every angelfish. I have 4 angels in a 60 gallon tank and don't plan on adding any more. Also, angels should definitely be kept in pairs. If 2 of them should pair off for mating they may attack/stress the remaining angel. That pairing also means that your tank should have enough room for all the fish since the pair will claim/protect a breeding spot. My tank is 4 ft long and 2 ft tall. That's the smallest tank I would recommend for angels (at least scalare). You can check my user page for pics of the angels.

OhNeil1969 said:
I don't have any proof that angels will eat nuisance snails, but I have 4 in a 60 gallon tank that had a small breakout of pond snails after I added some plants from my lfs. That was about 2 months ago and yesterday I only saw one snail. That was the first snail I saw in about 2 weeks. The amount of snails I have has gone down and I suspect the angels took care of them for me.

If I'm right the angel in the avatar pic is a scalare, not altum which will grow larger than scalares. Altums are usually caught wild whereas scalares are usually bred. The inch per fish rule really doesn't apply to angels in my opinion. As Egoraptor said the rule of thumb is at least 10 gallons for every angelfish. I have 4 angels in a 60 gallon tank and don't plan on adding any more. Also, angels should definitely be kept in pairs. If 2 of them should pair off for mating they may attack/stress the remaining angel. That pairing also means that your tank should have enough room for all the fish since the pair will claim/protect a breeding spot. My tank is 4 ft long and 2 ft tall. That's the smallest tank I would recommend for angels (at least scalare). You can check my user page for pics of the angels.

I have altums

Angels should be kept in a minimum 30 gallon tank. They grow quite large. I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 40 breeder. I don't even know if I am going to stick with my plan of having angels in my 40 breeder or not. I saw a full grown adult angel the other day that shocked me.

i have a two foot tall tank,heavily planted...think i will get some peat to keep ph around 7

I would love to hear how that works out. I'm interested in breeding angels and keeping discus, but my water's pH is real high. I've been trying to research ways to lower the pH naturally. I'm just not sure what to expect with peat.

Question to all my hybrid aponogeton bulb feels squishy what does it mean

Back
Top Bottom