Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateWantsAngels

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 29gal tank that I am attempting to set up for angelfish. It currently has a bristle nose pleco in it. I just moved the tiger barbs I had in there to my little sisters tank. My biggest obstacle is lowering pH any advice pertaining to anything angel related would be super appreciated.

Welcome to AA!

29 gallons is a good size for a pair of Angelfish. You can start out by buying an adult pair, or by buying a group of juveniles and waiting for a pair to form. If you grow out a group, you will eventually need to remove all but the pair that forms. Your pleco should do fine with them.

Most Angelfish have been tank raised for many generations so Ph shouldn't be a concern. I wouldnt bother messing with it unless it's really out there.

Okie thanks! Everyone else has told me they will die ASAP if I don't get their pH right. Do I need to do anything else with my tank since it has already been functioning for awhile and has had other fish in it?

What is your Ph? Also, readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate would be good, just to be on the safe side. You probably won't need to do anything extra, but it's always a good idea to test water daily for a few days after making big changes to your tank. That way you'll know if you need to do any extra water changes that week.

Anything over zero ammonia and nitrite is not good- make sure you get that under control before adding Angelfish.

Right I know about the ammonia and I am working on getting it under control. I am unsure how to do this everything I look up is contradictory.

29 is a fine breeder for angels, but you shouldn't set it up as a community. The pair stocks the tank IMO. You could maybe get away with some bottom dwellers like cories.

Good to know. Thank you everyone. I will fix the ammonia problem then I will add the angels. Probably just them.

Okie so just tested my tank pH is 6.0 and ammonia is 0. I have not added anything to the tank just done the water changes. My tap water has a pH of 7.6 so I do not understand how my tank pH dropped. When should I add the angels?

I might be wrong but i belove its possible for it to drop during the cycling process, and also if you have driftwood in there that will lower it too. 6.0 is pretty down there, personally i play it safe with them and keep them a 6.8-7.2. Havent had them in ages tho so other input might be better but just thought id throw out my opinion

Back
Top Bottom