Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey. This is my first post and as I am I newbie...Im guessing first of many.

My question is:
Is there such thing as a long nose angelfish?

At one fish shop they had small stripy angels so I just had 2 have one. The guy at my LFS said that they were a a rarer breed of angels called long nose angelfish, so he charged me twice the price of a regular angelfish. I have done some research on the net and have not found any info on this. Im hoping one of you can help me.

TIA
Cass :wave:

Hi cass and welcome to AA. :D

There are in fact two seperate species of angelfish. The ones we commonly see at the lfs are P. Scalare. The scalares are where all the hybrid varities have been developed from. There is a seldom seen species called P. Altum, and I believe this is what you were sold. They are much taller in shape and tend to have a pointier face. Good luck with them.

Welcome to AA cass! I'm an angel nut (see my sig) and I've never heard of a long nose. Brian is correct in his quote but I haven't seen one of this variety yet. Can you post a pic? I would love to see it (and probably get one if compatible with my others).

:D

There are three species of angelfish. The two mentioned by Brian as well as the long-nosed P. Dumerilli. Here is a quote from FishData. I'd say, if this is actually what you have... Good Find! Please post some pictures if you can.

The long-nosed Angel fish, Pterophyllum dumerilli, is definitely the least seen of the three Angel fish species. They are rarely imported and, unfortunately, very little information has been gathered on their care and breeding habits or water chemistry requirements. The fish is characterized by silver and black bands, typical of all the wild examples of the genus, but sports a dark spot found at the base of the dorsal fin and a longer nose than the other two species. P. dumerilli has not been spawned in captivity.

http://www.solodvds.com/angelfish.asp

Well I am glad that I bought Sambooka then. I have attached a photo. It isn't the best pic..but its the best I could get.

Thanks for all the info.
:wave:

I believe it is actually a P. Dumerilli. At least from the description on the site I listed. I've seen Altums but never one with the distinctive spot below the dorsal. Beautiful angel regardless of species. Best of luck with your new fish.

Here is a pic of P. Altum I borrowed from http://www.mongabay.com/fish/angelfish.htm

Very interesting. I didn't know there was a 3rd species. Apparently it's debatable.

Thanks for posting mattrox :D . IMO this is natures laboratory at work. As Darwin discovered, differentiation among the same species will occur based on natural selection and survival. As far as seperate species of angels go, I'm not convinced there are more than two. Altum and scalare.

At one time there were thought to be four seperate species of discus. They were commonly called Brown, Blue, Green and Heckel. They all came from different regions of the Amazon basin. Browns, Blues, and Greens are all the same species. They have slight color and shape variations even though they are the same species.

Back
Top Bottom