Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angelfish and Ciclids

Okay, question, From some of my reading I've seen that some of the less aggressive Ciclids could be good tankmates for Angelfish. As I'm setting up a 46 gallon bow front (It's cycling now) I was wondering if someone could tell me what species might do well as a community, and what else might go well with them. If nothing, okay... what other suggestions for this tank might you make. I'm pretty sure I'm putting Cory Cats in here (From what I've seen they would also be okay, at least with semi-aggressive.)

Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoeFox View Post
Okay, question, From some of my reading I've seen that some of the less aggressive Ciclids could be good tankmates for Angelfish. As I'm setting up a 46 gallon bow front (It's cycling now) I was wondering if someone could tell me what species might do well as a community, and what else might go well with them. If nothing, okay... what other suggestions for this tank might you make. I'm pretty sure I'm putting Cory Cats in here (From what I've seen they would also be okay, at least with semi-aggressive.)
IMO, the only cichlids I recommend with angels are rams, apistos, or keyholes. There may a few other dwarf cichlids out there as well like the golden dwarf that could maybe be ok with angels in a tank that size.
Corys are good tankmates for most fish with similar parameter requirements, but sometimes they get picked on by other fish. I keep them with rams and a keyhole as well as with angels, but some people have their rams pick on the corys, especially if there is not much bottom space in the tank.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay... new question then. The NW ciclids that I've seen just don't sing to me, but alot of the african ciclids would. What, if any of them, might be a good start into the world of african ciclids (Yes, I'm accepting I will likely have to give up on the angelfish but I love the colors of ciclids) and would the corries be okay with them? (I have another tank I can put the three I've got in quarantine into. And yes, those wondering, I was planning on getting more but my qt is a ten gallon. I don't wanna overload the QT.)

What about bristlenosed pleco's with A. Ciclids. I've really just started researching ciclids. I figure if I can manage my salt tanks, I should be able to handle these guys...hopefully.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The angels could outcompete your corys for food and starve them. My angels swallow up and shrimp pellets i put in there and obliderate algae wafers and eat them up. Even if i just fed them. A couple others on here have reported similar issues. I seem to only be able to sustain 3 corys in my 30 gallon

And 3 corys arent going to overload a cycled ten gallon. IMO
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm... my research suggested they'd be compatable. Oh Interweb... you've failed me once again. Now I really have to ponder what to do with this tank. 47 gallons and I'm questioning my original stocking plan completely. Oh well, it's still cycling. I can take some time. Any suggestions from anyone?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you could have them it just might be hard and you might have to get creative with feeding them
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a couple of bolivian rams with my angels. I like the combo..... Bolivian rams with angels - YouTube The rams are getting prettier colors now... this is an older video
Old 10-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah, but I'm questioning the angels themselves now. I'm wanting a bit of color and pop in the tank, but I'm not sure what would do well to give me that. Considering this tank is going to be literally right next to a salt tank, I'm not wanting it to look monochrome. I'm begining to think a massive neon tetra tank (Kidding... though admittedly 25 to thirty five neons running around would be... energetic.)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
I have a couple of bolivian rams with my angels. I like the combo..... Bolivian rams with angels - YouTube The rams are getting prettier colors now... this is an older video

Yeah, the rams are kind of the exception to my observed rule on American ciclids. But I just see so many attractive A. Ciclids... and then there's the dramatic look of the Angels.

Man... heh.

I just don't want everyone to kill everyone else. I've managed to avoid that happening to date... well except for my skirted tetras. Those guys seem gung ho to beat eachother stupid.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoeFox View Post
Okay... new question then. The NW ciclids that I've seen just don't sing to me, but alot of the african ciclids would. What, if any of them, might be a good start into the world of african ciclids (Yes, I'm accepting I will likely have to give up on the angelfish but I love the colors of ciclids) and would the corries be okay with them? (I have another tank I can put the three I've got in quarantine into. And yes, those wondering, I was planning on getting more but my qt is a ten gallon. I don't wanna overload the QT.)

What about bristlenosed pleco's with A. Ciclids. I've really just started researching ciclids. I figure if I can manage my salt tanks, I should be able to handle these guys...hopefully.
@tarpon, I have never heard of angels outcompeteing corys for food before. Corys are scavengers and eat fallen flakes as well as shrimp pellets and algae wafers. Just try hiding shrimp pellets in a cave or smething that the angels can't fit in. You can also try breaking up your algae wafers into smaller pieces.
As far as picking some African cichlids, you are a bit limited in a tank that size, but there are still plenty of options. Pick a lake and pick a species or 2. I would suggest yellow labs. They are very brightly colored and fun.
No corys with African cichlids. The corys will die. A bnp would probably be ok IMO.
Corys with angels should be fine. Many people keep them together, myself included, and do not have an issue. IMO/E they are generally compatable.

Tags
angel, angelfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com