Angelfish and Ciclids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadoeFox

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, question, From some of my reading I've seen that some of the less aggressive Ciclids could be good tankmates for Angelfish. As I'm setting up a 46 gallon bow front (It's cycling now) I was wondering if someone could tell me what species might do well as a community, and what else might go well with them. If nothing, okay... what other suggestions for this tank might you make. I'm pretty sure I'm putting Cory Cats in here (From what I've seen they would also be okay, at least with semi-aggressive.)

Okay, question, From some of my reading I've seen that some of the less aggressive Ciclids could be good tankmates for Angelfish. As I'm setting up a 46 gallon bow front (It's cycling now) I was wondering if someone could tell me what species might do well as a community, and what else might go well with them. If nothing, okay... what other suggestions for this tank might you make. I'm pretty sure I'm putting Cory Cats in here (From what I've seen they would also be okay, at least with semi-aggressive.)
IMO, the only cichlids I recommend with angels are rams, apistos, or keyholes. There may a few other dwarf cichlids out there as well like the golden dwarf that could maybe be ok with angels in a tank that size.
Corys are good tankmates for most fish with similar parameter requirements, but sometimes they get picked on by other fish. I keep them with rams and a keyhole as well as with angels, but some people have their rams pick on the corys, especially if there is not much bottom space in the tank.

Okay... new question then. The NW ciclids that I've seen just don't sing to me, but alot of the african ciclids would. What, if any of them, might be a good start into the world of african ciclids (Yes, I'm accepting I will likely have to give up on the angelfish but I love the colors of ciclids) and would the corries be okay with them? (I have another tank I can put the three I've got in quarantine into. And yes, those wondering, I was planning on getting more but my qt is a ten gallon. I don't wanna overload the QT.)

What about bristlenosed pleco's with A. Ciclids. I've really just started researching ciclids. I figure if I can manage my salt tanks, I should be able to handle these guys...hopefully.

The angels could outcompete your corys for food and starve them. My angels swallow up and shrimp pellets i put in there and obliderate algae wafers and eat them up. Even if i just fed them. A couple others on here have reported similar issues. I seem to only be able to sustain 3 corys in my 30 gallon

And 3 corys arent going to overload a cycled ten gallon. IMO

Hmm... my research suggested they'd be compatable. Oh Interweb... you've failed me once again. Now I really have to ponder what to do with this tank. 47 gallons and I'm questioning my original stocking plan completely. Oh well, it's still cycling. I can take some time. Any suggestions from anyone?

I think you could have them it just might be hard and you might have to get creative with feeding them

yeah, but I'm questioning the angels themselves now. I'm wanting a bit of color and pop in the tank, but I'm not sure what would do well to give me that. Considering this tank is going to be literally right next to a salt tank, I'm not wanting it to look monochrome. I'm begining to think a massive neon tetra tank (Kidding... though admittedly 25 to thirty five neons running around would be... energetic.)

I have a couple of bolivian rams with my angels. I like the combo..... Bolivian rams with angels - YouTube The rams are getting prettier colors now... this is an older video

Yeah, the rams are kind of the exception to my observed rule on American ciclids. But I just see so many attractive A. Ciclids... and then there's the dramatic look of the Angels.

Man... heh.

I just don't want everyone to kill everyone else. I've managed to avoid that happening to date... well except for my skirted tetras. Those guys seem gung ho to beat eachother stupid.

Okay... new question then. The NW ciclids that I've seen just don't sing to me, but alot of the african ciclids would. What, if any of them, might be a good start into the world of african ciclids (Yes, I'm accepting I will likely have to give up on the angelfish but I love the colors of ciclids) and would the corries be okay with them? (I have another tank I can put the three I've got in quarantine into. And yes, those wondering, I was planning on getting more but my qt is a ten gallon. I don't wanna overload the QT.)

What about bristlenosed pleco's with A. Ciclids. I've really just started researching ciclids. I figure if I can manage my salt tanks, I should be able to handle these guys...hopefully.
@tarpon, I have never heard of angels outcompeteing corys for food before. Corys are scavengers and eat fallen flakes as well as shrimp pellets and algae wafers. Just try hiding shrimp pellets in a cave or smething that the angels can't fit in. You can also try breaking up your algae wafers into smaller pieces.
As far as picking some African cichlids, you are a bit limited in a tank that size, but there are still plenty of options. Pick a lake and pick a species or 2. I would suggest yellow labs. They are very brightly colored and fun.
No corys with African cichlids. The corys will die. A bnp would probably be ok IMO.
Corys with angels should be fine. Many people keep them together, myself included, and do not have an issue. IMO/E they are generally compatable.

What is the length on a 46 bow front tank? Minimum tank length is IMO the biggest issue with successfully keep A. cichlids long term.

Hmm... must do research. And ponder Rams a bit more. Question, follow up, are Angels okay alone. I only ask because I don't remember seeing anything on it, and everything I see says them breeding means their aggression level will go through the roof.. Or is this overstated in what I've read.

Wow, I'm just full of questions today, ain't I.

Yeah, the rams are kind of the exception to my observed rule on American ciclids. But I just see so many attractive A. Ciclids... and then there's the dramatic look of the Angels.

Man... heh.

I just don't want everyone to kill everyone else. I've managed to avoid that happening to date... well except for my skirted tetras. Those guys seem gung ho to beat eachother stupid.
If peace is a top concern, I suggest you avoid angels. I love mine, and many are wonderful community dwellers, but many others are not. They can very moody and territorial. Rams are safer as far as that aspect goes, but sometimes you find a really feisty little ram too.

Hmm... must do research. And ponder Rams a bit more. Question, follow up, are Angels okay alone. I only ask because I don't remember seeing anything on it, and everything I see says them breeding means their aggression level will go through the roof.. Or is this overstated in what I've read.

Wow, I'm just full of questions today, ain't I.
Yes, angels are fine alone. No, its not overstated. But, that highly depends on the individual angel. Some are demons, some are excellent community dwellers. If you get a spawning pair though, they will be aggressive.

i have African cichlids as well... I got a little frustrated not being able to add anything with them. Also there is the aggression issue if you don't stock right. I love all my fish though :) I understand how its hard to choose lol i have 5 tanks stocked right now bc I wanted all kinds haha
Here's my African Cichilds... my stock is currently wrong... Im starting to have aggression issues but they are pretty :) African cichlids - YouTube

Yeah, I feel the pain of the stocking list. I originally wanted Dojo Loaches in this tank...then realized the temp for them stops around the point where angels start.

Well, at least I'm questioning things before I actually stock the tank. Like I said, I have three of the corries, but they can go into another, peaceful tank if I want to change it up.

absolutangel04 said:
@tarpon, I have never heard of angels outcompeteing corys for food before. Corys are scavengers and eat fallen flakes as well as shrimp pellets and algae wafers. Just try hiding shrimp pellets in a cave or smething that the angels can't fit in. You can also try breaking up your algae wafers into smaller pieces.
As far as picking some African cichlids, you are a bit limited in a tank that size, but there are still plenty of options. Pick a lake and pick a species or 2. I would suggest yellow labs. They are very brightly colored and fun.
No corys with African cichlids. The corys will die. A bnp would probably be ok IMO.
Corys with angels should be fine. Many people keep them together, myself included, and do not have an issue. IMO/E they are generally compatable.

If they are in smaller pieces the angels gobble them up. And there arent any leftover flakes bc i dont overfeed

Back
Top Bottom