Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

will the parent eat the fry? they were guarding them but will they eventually see them as food?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

the babys will start to eat the parents slime coat i read somewhere

Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

try micros

See if youcan get a local hobbyist to give you a start of microworms for those baby angels. They won't cloud your water as much and they've got lot's of protein for the babes.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
The parents will eat the young sooner or later. Once they start thinking about a new batch of babies, the old batch becomes intruders.

Baby angels do not feed off the parents slime coat, that is discus fry you are thinking of.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
you should set up a sponge filter or 2, dont worry about what you feed them right now, like i said earlier crushed flake, bbs, even small daphnia i feed mine, also with the sponge filter they will eventually feed @ unseen organisms on the actual sponge.. the important thing is to get all the uneated food out before it starts messing with your water quality, maybe thats why they arent growing evenly. i always remove mine into a spare tank or container for @ least the 1st 3 months then they go into the growout tank
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #16

If you can set up a 10 with a sponge filter and put the fry in that.
You will want to be sure the sponge filter is cycled well before putting it in there though. Place a snail or 2 in there to help with the excess food too. When they get bigger you can put a small Ancistrus pleco in with them to clean up.
If fed well in 8 weeks they should be dime size.
We always pull the slate and hatch in a galon
jar, then after 7 days when they go free swimming we put them right into a 10 gallon with a sponge filter, by themselves. They will eat fry powder also as well as really fine flake food. You will see they are agressive eaters.
Hope this helps
Jay
My name is Jay, My wife, Barb, and I have a modest little fish room in our basement(about 166 tanks and 4- 55s,1- 75 and 1-46 Bow front in our living room, and 1-30 gallon in the bedroom) all in all about 2000 gallons of tanks.
blueram06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:16 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

You can put a sponge directly on the intake filter to prevent fry from being sucked up.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #18

Yes you are correct.
The biggest thing right now is to get the water cleared up, as the cloudiness means that the bad bacteria is taking over and all the fish will become ill.
It is important to get the filter running and do a 50% water change, if you have another well established tank you can take water from that to fill this tank.
Good luck
Jay
My name is Jay, My wife, Barb, and I have a modest little fish room in our basement(about 166 tanks and 4- 55s,1- 75 and 1-46 Bow front in our living room, and 1-30 gallon in the bedroom) all in all about 2000 gallons of tanks.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #19

I do have a 10 gallon tank they can go in, but it's not empty. It has 12 neon tetras and 2 rummy nose tetra and 2 guppies.

Will they co-exist fine? I think they are now too big for the tetra's mouths, but I am not sure if they will survive if the tetras peck at them.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #20

They may peck at them, thinking they are food.
It may be best to do a water change and get the filter running. Just add water from that 10 to your filter to get some good bacteria in it.
When they get dime size they will be fine to put in the other tank. Of course you will have to get more tanks when they get too big.
Thats how we got so many.
Fish just keep spawning.
Don't stress you'll get them going just fine.
Jay

Tags
angel, angelfish, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com