Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

angelfish and fry

My angelfish spawn twice. First time they ate their eggs, second time a success, after about a little more than a week, all the fish are now swimming free and stayed in a corner of the tank. Here are some pics, mom is white, dad is the one with the long fins and stripes.

I probably made a mistake for not pulling the eggs out when it was on a slate but I decided to let the parents do their thing and when I got close they got real mad at me and pecked at me.

I read that most use brine shrimp hatched eggs to feed, but I don't have it, and I need to feed them now. So I went to the LFS and they recommended the SERA MICRON to me. I dusted some in the tank but I didn't see the fry going to it so they don't like it or this is not the right food?

They have been free swimming since this morning. Yesterday they were still clinging to the leaves of a sword plant, some were loose but most were still clinging and wiggling. This morning they broke free and are now guarded by parents.

Parents are not eating well either. I put in some blood worms and they took a bite or two but not aggressively feeding like they used to they are busy guarding the young.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Congrats, good luck with them.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congratulations. As far as feeding the fry you are going to have to put the food as close to them as the parents will allow. They are too small and can't see the food you put into the tank. The closer to them the better!
Old 08-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
Congratulations. As far as feeding the fry you are going to have to put the food as close to them as the parents will allow. They are too small and can't see the food you put into the tank. The closer to them the better!
I am trying...but the parent angels are very aggressive. I sprinkled some of the powered SERA MICRON in one corner where the fry are, and many of them came up to feed. The moma angel somehow thinks this is a threat, so she zooms up to the surface to try to break up the crowd and made a splash. She is doing her best to disrupt my feeding .
Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #5

also my tank is getting very yucky.

The parents are guarding the babies. I have been feeding the SERA MICRON and it's powder so it's clouding the water, and I turned the filter off otherwise the fry would be sucked into them.

I changed water once yesterday and today it's cloudy again.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #6

now the babies are two weeks old and size is about 4 or 5 mm (or about 1/4") from tip to tip. I am still feeding them SERA micron. When is a good time to switch to other food? Can they eat ground up flakes yet?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Orly way to find out is to try and feed them some. They should be big enough soon.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
you should be able to start feeding baby brine, ive always brought mine up using just fine ground flake
Old 09-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #9

The other problem is for some reason the fry don't grow at the same rate. I have some fry that are twice as big as the rest. I never thought there would be such a size difference.

As I said, because of the fry I have stopped the filter otherwise they would be sucked into the filter intake. The water is getting yucky and there are bio matter at the bottom of the tank. Some of the fry would go and feed on them. The adult angels know they are not food but the fry don't. Will there be any serious issues if the fry eat the junk?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put a sponge over the intake, change water every other day and carefully vacuum up the gunk. I would also think about removing the parents soon.

Tags
angel, angelfish, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com