Angelfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now i have 4 ( around 1.5inch diameter) angelfish in my 30 gallon. I know all about what to look for, but im concerned that hey aren't growing. I know 30g is minimum for a breeding pair of angels as they get aggressive. So my question is.

Should i move them to my 55g so they can grow to breeding size? Once i get a pair out of them i would move the pair to the 30g.

Would my 5 corys and 5 ottos keep the tank cycled?

also i have an angel in my 55 g right now. Do you think he would beat up my other angels? He is a tad nippy but so are the others.

What should i do if i get 2 pairs? ( probably wont but what if?)
There will be 5 angels in the 55 g but alot more plant cover.
( also the one angel in my 55 g is around 2 inches diameter)
Just let me know what you guys think.

30 gallons is just enough for 2 angelfish, so you have about double what you should. I would move 2 to the 55. This being said, I don't know much about these fish, and that could be a terrible idea because of gender ratios.

I planned on keeping the 4 in the 30g until i get a pair, but i haven't gotten a pair yet and i feel like i am stunting them. I don't know what sexes they are so i don't want to separate two males together.

Also forgot to put that i have 8 neon tetras in the tank aswell.

I planned on keeping the 4 in the 30g until i get a pair, but i haven't gotten a pair yet and i feel like i am stunting them. I don't know what sexes they are so i don't want to separate two males together.

Also forgot to put that i have 8 neon tetras in the tank aswell.

Well, then maybe you could move all 4 to the 55. It would be overstocked with 5, but not as much as 4 in a 30. Also, I'm not sure if neons work with angelfish, because after all, angelfish ARE cichlids.

Move two over. Is there a way to tell genders? If so let the 2 go in the bigger one until u know then go from there and 5 should fit in the bigger one.

Sillyfishies said:
Move two over. Is there a way to tell genders? If so let the 2 go in the bigger one until u know then go from there and 5 should fit in the bigger one.

I don't want to move just two though because i don't want to plausibly leave two males in the 30. And the only way to tell sexes fro what i have heard is breeding tubes. and they only extend them when spawning. I think i may just move them all to the 55 and wait until they mature and pair in there? Once i get the pair i will move them to the 30

bud29 said:
Well, then maybe you could move all 4 to the 55. It would be overstocked with 5, but not as much as 4 in a 30. Also, I'm not sure if neons work with angelfish, because after all, angelfish ARE cichlids.

And so far the neons just stay out of the way, but if they ever did get bullied i would have moved them to a different tank.

Thanks guys for responding, and sorry if i seem stubborn.

And so far the neons just stay out of the way, but if they ever did get bullied i would have moved them to a different tank.

They might be OK now, but as you mentioned the angelfish aren't full size yet and once they are that might change. Especially when they're breeding!

bud29 said:
They might be OK now, but as you mentioned the angelfish aren't full size yet and once they are that might change. Especially when they're breeding!

100% agree i guess ill just have to move them once i get the pair.

Edit: so im still stuck. 5 in a 55 is better then 4 in a 30, but they are still happily eating and living in the 30 , even if its uncomfortable.

Well the angel already in the 55 ( casper) went nuts trying to beat up te other angels. I removed him into a 5g bucket. What should i do? If o have to put him in the 30 gal then he may pick on the neons, but if i don' he will kill the other angels

Bubbles0oO said:
Well the angel already in the 55 ( casper) went nuts trying to beat up te other angels. I removed him into a 5g bucket. What should i do? If o have to put him in the 30 gal then he may pick on the neons, but if i don' he will kill the other angels

Oo wow... Put it in the 30. Does it have plenty of cover?

The 30 and the 55 both have lots of plant cover, but casper kept chasing them. I guess i should hae expected this, he has never been with other angels before...

And what will i do when i have a pair and they need to go to the 30 gallon? What will i do wit casper and the other two?

If it comes to it i will. But it won't be easy. He has such a huge personality.

Sillyfishies said:
Of eating little kids? (jk). Its possible to have 2 pairs In a 55 gal tho.

Lol nah he just always greets me and my family. They like how he dances lol.

And if i do get 2 pairs then i don't want both of them to have spawned and be fighting with each other. Or am i just being over cautious?

In the middle put a bunch of plants and stuff then put one pair on one side other pair on the other and they will never notice eachother

I have sone tall wisteria but they like all like to swim through it. I guess if i do get 2 pairs ill deal with it then...

Back
Top Bottom