Angelfish Fry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Y'all --

Can angelfish successfully hatch and raise (protect) fry in a community tank? they've spawned on an Amazon Sword leaf and I have no other tank to isolate, hatch, and rear them in.

I'm afraid I already know the answer, but wanted to knowif anyone had any success.

Thanks

No it is not likely to happen. Put a divider in to isolate them or else just let nature take its course.

As Ghyti said, the chances of success are very low while not 100% zero. Fish fry of all types are excellent food for other fish so the types of other fish will determine your success. The real downside of breeding in a community tank is that it puts a lot of pressure on the breeders to defend their eggs and fry which has a more bad long term effect. While Angelfish can breed for many years, the wear and tear in the fish reduces their desire and can also lead to parental fighting and discord between the pair.
If you are truly interested in breeding the fish and having the parents raise the fry, it would be best to do in a separate or divided aquarium where no other fish are present. Keep in mind tho that Angelfish do not always make the best parents so success is not guaranteed when parent raising fry.

Back
Top Bottom