Angelfish Owners/Experts Come Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelaa122

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I have been cycling a 29G and when it is finished I am thinking about getting a pair of Angelfish. Would that be okay? If so- I have a few questions--

1.) There are soooo many kinds of Angelfish, are they all compatible with one another? Like are the really small ones okay with the bigger ones or will the bigger ones eat them?

2.) What is the best kind of Angelfish to get?

3.) What other kinds of fish can be kept with Angelfish?

That's all for now, but if you have any other information on Angelfish I would LOVE to hear it. I know I am ready to handle them, I just want to make sure that I do everything right and do my research before I go out and buy them. :) Thank you!

I'd try to get some around the same size so they don't bully one another. I'm partial to veiltails and phillippine blues.

You can keep most larger community fish with them, I keep danios, bristlenose plecos, and in one tank I keep discus with mine.

They are pretty hardy fish. A pair of angels is fine in a 29g, some may disagree but I'd put a small school of other fish in there as well, maybe corys.

I know, if I were to go with the Kissing kind I would have to use a larger tank, I just wondered if they would get along. So, the smaller angels(and yes I know they will get larger) would be okay with the smaller Gouramies?

I know, if I were to go with the Kissing kind I would have to use a larger tank, I just wondered if they would get along. So, the smaller angels(and yes I know they will get larger) would be okay with the smaller Gouramies?
I don't think it's a great pairing. The dwarf gourami's I've owned have not been good tank mates for fish with flowing fins. Since they hang out in the same region of the tank, I wouldn't do it. I think if you put angels in a 29, giving them the top half of the tank would be best. I would go with something that schools low like a tetra and/or cories.

I would do one angel in a 29 and stock around him with tetras and corys maybe a BN. I would add no other larger fish.

I don't think it's a great pairing. The dwarf gourami's I've owned have not been good tank mates for fish with flowing fins. Since they hang out in the same region of the tank, I wouldn't do it. I think if you put angels in a 29, giving them the top half of the tank would be best. I would go with something that schools low like a tetra and/or cories.

But, there lies a problem, most tetras that stay small enough to keep a school in a 29 are also small enough to be eaten by the angels. I would just keep 5-6 of the smaller cory species with them.

What about kerri tetras and cochu's blue tetras..would those work as well?

I am not familiar with those fish, if they grow larger than neons, are not nippy and do not get 3-4 inches and large bodied then I do not see why not.

Oh ok, that's what I was unsure of..if all tetra's bigger than a neon won't get eaten.

I have a pair of angels a decent size in a 47 with 2 pink kissing gouramis and 2 powder blue gouramis and honestly never had a problem with them. Also have other fish in the tank also.

I keep angels and at first had 4 angels and 3 kissing gouramis with them. The gouramis kept trying to eat their slime coat and really bothered them. Had to get rid of the gouramis.

Thank you everyone. This helps a lot. If anyone has ever kept tetras or any other kind of schooling fish with Angels peacefully, please let me know what kinds. I do like the idea of a school of tetras, but I need to know what kind of tetras an Angelfish won't eat or nip at.

I would do one angel in a 29 and stock around him with tetras and corys maybe a BN. I would add no other larger fish.

I agree. A 29 gal is on the smallish side for angels so I'd just do one. Many tetra would work as tank mates as long as you don't go for smaller tetra like neons and cardinals. I have black neons, zebra danios, pristella tetra, and black skirt tetras with my angels and I've not had any issues.

As far as gouramis go, it is possible to keep them with angels IME. I have a full grown blue three spot with my angels and there has been zero aggression issues between the gourami/the angels.

Back
Top Bottom