angelfish pre spawn rituals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys, I have noticed my koi Angel's liplocking and fighting . The female seems to want to fight more than the male. They haven't started to clear off a leaf or rock yet, but the female getting noticeably rounder. Is it just pre breeding rituals or are they actually fighting

Or is it a dominance thing?

hi bubbles-- yes that sounds like mating habits . i have a pair of koi that do this and 2 days later i get eggs . so sit back and wait

They may be courting....ive always had a minimun of 4 angels and let them pair off naturally. Not sure if you can really "select" a pair. Id be glad to know if you can do that though.

I bought these two as a breeding pair. Proven male and female, who had played eggs a few days before I got them( the tanks pleco polished them off as soon as they were gone.) And that was about a month ago.... patience isn't something I'm good at ^·^

Ah chances are it may take awhile for then to breed agian.....change in environment and water parameters can have an affect on that.

hi bubbles-- yes that sounds like mating habits . i have a pair of koi that do this and 2 days later i get eggs . so sit back and wait

+1 to the mating "dance" :brows: Sometimes it takes breeders that have been moved a while to get reorganized and reaquainted. The one thing you do want to do is to recreate the water parameters that the fish had when they were spawning. If they are different now, this could be why they are going through the motions but not actually spawning.

Hope this helps (y)

They may be courting....ive always had a minimun of 4 angels and let them pair off naturally. Not sure if you can really "select" a pair. Id be glad to know if you can do that though.

Actually, you can select pairs when you have fish of known sexes. I've had pairs in my hatcheries that would throw poorly colored fish or physically damaged fish so I would switch mates to get different results. I also used to keep corrals of "spare" males and females to use if I lost a breeder from a pair. So the good news is that it can be done, the bad news is that it doesn't always work :( Sometimes the mate of a dead fish just gets too distraught at the loss.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom