Angelfish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just curious, do adult Angelfish add a lot to a tank's bioload level? I tried Angelfish a while back with no luck and would like to try again soon, but I'm concerned with adding TOO much for my tank to handle. I'm looking to get at least 2 - doesn't matter if they're a breeding pair or not.

I'd prefer to add them to my home tank (75g) since it's the one I see more often, but either tank would do. The 75g also has the best filtration of the 2. My signature is up to date so you can see the current residents in each tank.

I am aware of the Gourami/Barb/Angel dilemma and will have a plan in place to return the Angels if it doesn't work out. I'm thinking it will work because my Gouramis are all female and I have a decent sized school of Tigers who I've never seen bother any of the others in my tank. The Gouramis have also proven to be very peaceful, very seldom do I see any of them chasing another. They're all full grown.

Any thoughts?

I think that you could prob added 3-4 angels in that 75G if you really wanted to but yeah 2 angles will be fine with that setup.

Just make sure you watch the tiger barbs chancing the angels, the barbs would prob. be the angels only true threat.

remember they are cichlids and they do get to 5 inch or more. should be able to put them in the tank but they can get agressive.

It's not always easy to get two angels that will get along.

I raised 6 angels together (in a 55) to try and get a pair, or at least two that would get a long. After a year and a half two seemed right together ....so I separated the others from them and now they fight with each other....go figure. I think you have to realize there will be some fighting and not be bothered by it, also get them as juvies and grow them out and you might have a better chance of having them get along with each other. :)

I have 4 angels in my 75. For a few months I had 6, which was definitely pushing it...all of them were breeding pairs too. haha. Even with only 4, the males tend to have turf wars sometimes. It generally doesn't get too serious though

Thanks for the input. My 'new' plan is to get my old 10 gallon back up and running to serve as a quarantine / grow out tank. I'm hoping to purchase a pair of dime to nickle sized Angels to have them grow up a bit in the tank before moving them to my 75 gallon. I'd rather start out with the younger ones to watch them grow and to get to know thier personalities from the start. Getting those tiny babies and putting them in my 75 gallon at such a small size kind of scares me. I'm sure they would get picked on if they were *that* tiny.

Do you think this is a good plan? Would you recommend that I get more than a pair to see who 'meshes' the best? Also, how long would it take them to grow out of the 10 gallon. I'm thinking by the time they're the size of a half dollar (maybe a tad bit larger) I'd feel more comfortable with moving them to the BIG tank. Also, what does the fighting between Angels consist of? Is it like Gouramis where they'll chase each other around with the ocassional nip?

not really much in the way of chasing. Generally they face off, and kind of twitch. Then one of them will make a quick dash at the other. occasionally if they get real serious they'll go after each other's fins

Mine generally face off, and flare their fins at each other...occasionally they will slp each other withtheir tails or dart at one another. Sometimes they make contact sometimes not, it's like they are playing chicken at times.
I got 6 to try and get some who would get along...they all still do it even after I separated the ones that didn't fight...they always develop a pecking order. I have heard horror stories about warring angels, I definitely suggest getting small ones and growing them out together but likely you will see they get along great until they are approaching a year old....then all bets are off. Mine schooled together nicely until then.

Cool, so do you think it would be best to start out with more than a pair of babies (dime/nickle size) in a 10 gallon or will it really matter since they won't show the 'attitude' until they approach a year? I realize the space is very limited in a 10 gallon and I definitely don't want to add stress by keep to many fish in such a small space! I'm not sure how long it'll take for an Angle to outgrow a 10 gallon.

It kind of depends on what your overall goal is. If you want to end up with a pair (that will have the best chance of getting along long term) then get 6-8. If you have no other fish in the 10 gallon and keep it super clean you should be able to grow them out in there. When they reach the size of a quarter or half dollar then move them as it will be harder to keep up the water quality.

Or you could skip the hassle and just grow them out in the 75. Unless you have really large fish in there with them they will be just fine. I grew mine out in a 55 and it worked out well. And who knows maybe you will have more than two that get along. Are angels the main centerpeice fish that you want for this tank?

I'm not really looking for a pair as in a breeding pair. If I end up with 2 males or 2 females that get along, that would be pefectly fine for me. I don't have any 'larger' fish in my tank aside from my Ropefish and my Pleco. I don't think either of those would pose any kind of a threat. The other fish are smaller, although I'm afraid if I introduce tiny Angles into my tank with the school of Tiger Barbs, they may beat up on it, especially considering that the Angles would be smaller or about the same size. I do have plans in place of moving the Barbs should they cause any trouble, but I'm thinking if I wait until the Angels are a bit bigger they'd stand a better chance.

I originally had no intentions of adding Angels to my tank, but lately I've become absolutely obsessed with them and woulud love to add them! I think would be a nice addition to my tank. :)

My 10 gallon tank is finally cycled so I went out and got 4 baby Angels. I don't have photos yet because they're still being acclimated. I have them in a large pitcher (used only for fish) and I have a dripline dropping water into it. It's taking FOREVER! I can't wait to let them go in the tank!

One of them is pretty much a solid silver/gray color, another one is the same color with some faint black stripes, another one is the same color with darker stripes, and the last one has gold and black spots on it. They're tiny, but I do hope they make it ok once I transfer them into the tank.

I probably shouldn't have bought them because I noticed at the store that one of them does have an Ick spot, but I couldn't resist. They have the 10 gallon to themselves and they're in my care now so at least I know that the ick will be treated properly.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I don't want to stress them out more than they already are.

In a 75 gallon, by itself, assuming there is alot of territory marking's, you could easily fit 10 angels in there. If you get them while they are small, they may even pair off for you. Angels do create some bio-load, but that is nothing to some Pleco's.

But, since you have the stocking you do, you could put maybe at a max, 6. But, those tiger barbs will chase the angel's and stress them out.

10 angels in a 75? I had 6 in my 75 for a while and it seemed like way too much. Even with 4 they fight a lot, then again, I have all breeding pairs

Wow! I would think that 10 angels would be way to much for a 75 gallon. Sure there would be enough swimming room, but that's a lot of fish to account for when they become full grown adults! I don't think I'd even attempt that many, but that's just me.

An update on my angels....

I'm very pleased to report they all survived their first night at home. They're all actively swimming around and boy oh boy talk about healthy appetites! I didn't bother offering any food last night. I let them just sit in their new aquarium with most of the room's lighting off to cut down on stress. When this morning came I put in some food and they acted like they never ate before! I read that they are ferocious eaters and they certainly lived up to that today.

Treating the Ich...

The aquarium never hit above 86° last night (it was lingering around 85°) and the angel with the red and gold markings appeared to have many more Ich spots so I ran out to the store right away and bought a larger heater. The tank is now at 87.5°. So I'm on my way of treating that. It doesn't seem to have any effect on them yet so I'm hoping they'll all rebound nicely and stay healthy.

Here are some photos of the little guys... They're so darn cute! :)
angel1.jpg

angel2.jpg

angel3.jpg

angel4.jpg

Thanks! This is day 3 and all 4 are still alive and doing well. There are still a couple of Ich spots, but they are dying off. I can't wait until they're gone all together! Poor little babies.

Does anyone know what the correct 'type' of these Angels are? I'm thinking that the 3rd and last ones are both Silver Zebras. The first is maybe a Koi? The second maybe a Striped Zebra who hasn't really developed the rest of it's stripes yet? Also, do they look correct / healthy to you?

1st is definitely a koi, he's got the blushing trait and the gold marble trait. The 2nd two I'm not sure of. I found this to be helpful identifying angel breeds. I'd look myself, but I have a pounding headache right now

Thought I'd post another update on the Angel babies as well as some new photos. They're all still alive and doing very well. They're all coming out of their shells quite nicely. The first day or so that they were here with me they would hide in the back of the tank, but now they're out just about all of the time. They're really getting used to me as well which I love. Everytime I go over to look at them they all fly to the front of the tank as if they're trying to show off for me. They're just the cutest little things! :D

The last Ich spots are officially gone! The Koi was the last one to loose the spots, but thankfully they are gone. Now I just have to leave the temps up for a while to make sure it's all killed off.

I do have a concern though. One of them seems to have torn fins. Is this common among Angels? I'm worried it may be fin rot so I'm wondering if I should treat the tank with Melafix or Pimafix. I hate using medications / chemicals, but I've had decent luck with these two meds. I'm also worried about dosing babies. From what I've read they're fragile little guys.

Here are the photos...

The little Koi - the smallest of the bunch.
angel5.jpg

Note the torn fins. :(
angel6.jpg

This one LOVES picking at the gravel. Just about everytime I check on them that's what it's doing.
angel7.jpg

This one has quite the attitude! I can tell already he (or she) will be the problem child. :rolleyes:
angel8.jpg

the last 3 all seem to have some sort of fin damage. Something about the first damaged fin looks not quite right to me, but I don't think it's fin rot. The other 2 appear to have damaged their fins a while back, and they are regrowing.

Back
Top Bottom