Angelfish with Danios, etc...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucket

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. I'm new to this forum and the hobby but I think I am almost finishing cycling my 70 Gallon tank. No Ammonia anymore, low Nitrites and low Nitrates at this point.

I presently have 8 Zebra Danios, 5 Black Neon Tetras and 4 Corys (3 Peppered and 1 Panda)

My wife and I would really like to have some Angelfish at some point in our tank, but I have read/heard that Angelfish: 1: are bothered by very active fish (Danios) and eat Tetras...don't know how they feel about Corys.

My water is also high in PH: 7.8 and hard.

From what I have read/heard, this may not be a good situation for Angels, but I am seeking advice as to whether we can make this work.

Any thoughts?

~Bucket

Welcome to AA Bucket!

I am new with Angels having only kept them for about the past 2 months or so. Your pH is not a problem. As long as you purchase your livestock from a fish source with similar water parameters, you should be fine. I have 8.2 pH with liquid rock hardness and my angels and German Blue Rams are thriving.

With regards to stocking, Angels and Cories are fine together. So are Angels and some Tetras. Neons will eventually become a snack for them though. Choose which one you really want to have, either the Neons or the Angels.

Thanks for the quick reply Fishyfanatic!

That's good news about the PH, I was concerned about that. Since yours is higher than mine and you are having success, that bodes well for me.

the Black Neons I have are quite a bit bigger than neons. One of them is about an 1 and a quarter long...the others are about the size of cardinal tetras, so maybe they won't fit in an Angel's mouth? (if they survive cycling...I have lost 4)

Good news about the Corys too.

I am more concerned about the Danios with the Angels...will they drive the Angels crazy and stress them out, due to their non-stop action? (Something I read.)

~Bucket.

Hi Bucket, welcome to AA!

Mature angels will snack on neon tetras however, juvies tend to ignore them.

Danios are notorious speed racers in the tank. Danios may want to nip at the long flowing fins of angels, hence I have avoided having them in the same tank with my angels. I am trying to think of someone who has had success with this arrangement but I cannot recall anyone.

You can have success with most any type of tetra however, which is really cool. Tetras are also a bit slower than danios but if obtained in sufficient numbers, will school in groups and look fanatastic.

Back
Top Bottom