Angelfish with discus???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just rehomed my angel from a 35g to a 75g. Current tank mates are 1 golden gourami, 1 blue dwarf gourami, 3 silver sharks and a bristlenose. I can find new homes for any of my current fish IF adding discus with my angelfish will be alright....

I have just rehomed my angel from a 35g to a 75g. Current tank mates are 1 golden gourami, 1 blue dwarf gourami, 3 silver sharks and a bristlenose. I can find new homes for any of my current fish IF adding discus with my angelfish will be alright....

I think you'd be better to keep the combo you have and skip the Discus. Angels are often a bit too aggressive to mix with Discus (especially at feeding time.) The two fish might both come from S. America but they don't come from the same types of areas. ;) I'd keep your Discus by themselves or with some other fishes less stressful.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks Andy.. Would you recommend anything I could add to make it a more colorful tank?

Thanks Andy.. Would you recommend anything I could add to make it a more colorful tank?

There is such an array of colorful fish that will go with your original collection. Other Gouramis, Most Livebearers ( Mollies, Swordtails, Platys), Some of the med sized Tetras, Redtail or rainbow sharks, Loaches and some of the smaller Cichlids like Rams or Apistgrammas are just a few. All these will have either brilliant colors or fascinating patterns to them. ( I've always been a sucker for YoYo loaches :D) You just want to get fish that are size appropriate to your current fish. Too small and they might have a problem ;) Remember also that your tank should have fish that use all 3 layers of the tank (Top, Middle and Bottom). By using this method, you won't run into the "Not enough elbow room" situation that happens when all the fish want to be in the same layer. (No matter how much you try, a bottom layer fish will not become a top layer fish :lol:)

For color you could also add driftwwod (for appearance) and colored artificial plants as well as some decorative colored rocks. There are just so many ways to get color into a tank these days.

Hope this helps (y)

There is such an array of colorful fish that will go with your original collection. Other Gouramis, Most Livebearers ( Mollies, Swordtails, Platys), Some of the med sized Tetras, Redtail or rainbow sharks, Loaches and some of the smaller Cichlids like Rams or Apistgrammas are just a few. All these will have either brilliant colors or fascinating patterns to them. ( I've always been a sucker for YoYo loaches :D) You just want to get fish that are size appropriate to your current fish. Too small and they might have a problem ;) Remember also that your tank should have fish that use all 3 layers of the tank (Top, Middle and Bottom). By using this method, you won't run into the "Not enough elbow room" situation that happens when all the fish want to be in the same layer. (No matter how much you try, a bottom layer fish will not become a top layer fish :lol:)

For color you could also add driftwwod (for appearance) and colored artificial plants as well as some decorative colored rocks. There are just so many ways to get color into a tank these days.

Hope this helps (y)

Loaches are pretty cool hey! Do like the idea of rams or apistogrammas.. Not too partial to artificial plants, do like the natural look instead ?

Thanks Andy

image-2732434916.jpg

My current tank setup

You've got some nice color is there already. Maybe some red plants on the opposite side of the rocks to even the tank out. Then, just add more colorful fish ;) A swimming rainbow :D

Back
Top Bottom