Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi fishy folks,

After having some serious problems with my tank 2 weeks ago, that left me with just 5 survivors, looks like all is well in little fish world these days. The water is still a little murky (whitish) but the quality is fairly good. Only the NO3 is stuck on .2 does anybody know why?

I have made water changes almost daily since that freaky friday.

Yesterday I added 3 brilliant rasboras, that look like the off spring of my denisoni barb, and 4 ghost shrimp. That will be it for a few weeks until I see how it goes.

Now, what I always wanted to have (and keep!) is an angel fish. I had a few in the last year, small, medium, koys... but I cannot keep them alive. Are angels hard to keep, or I'm doing something very wrong? Also do you think that there is room for one or two little angels in my tank?

I have a 30 g planted tank with 1 denisoni barb, 2 serpae tetra, 2 dwarf gouramis, the 3 new rasboras and 5 ghost shrimp.

Thank you! :)

you could only put one angel in that tank ... Now for the other info, how mature is your tank? It is my experience that angels literally require a mature tank (mine was running for 6 months with one filter to make it mature before adding angels that is also with another tanks water).

The gouramis could possibly cause problems with the angels ... they will probably fight quite constantly. Be sure that if you get an angel that you get one as close to the gourami size as possible.

Also, to help out, acclimate your angels for a minimum of 2 hours (i acclimate mine for 3 hours or so before adding them into the tank) ... and please wait until your water is absolutely pristine before adding them. The white murky water is a sign of an ammonia problem. Daily water changes will help with this (along with gravel cleaning)

hope it helps.

Welcome to AA :invasion: hope you decide to stay. sory but i dont know much about angles just thought id stop to say hi :D

I made the mistake of adding angels to my tank prior to it being mature. All lost. As a Christmas surprise (and knowing that the tank was mature), my sons brought me the 4 angels in my sig.

They have had the time of their lives in the tank since then. Since they were introduced at the same time, they seem to enjoy each other's company (at least for now since they are still juveniles).

They will be moved when my new tank is complete as I know that the chances of them all being the same sex isn't likely and once a pair is formed, the others may be in some danger.

I can tell you this, add all the angels you will have at the same time, same size and from the same brood. I am having a terrible time with my newest angels. Two died, one was resuscitated in a hospital tank, and the other is a real terror. Killed one of the smaller angels yesterday, had another hiding in the corner not eating today. Can't take it back for exchange, the pearl white angels were a LFS one time purchase and the whole tank sold out in a week. Maybe a week in the slammer (QT - 1's new name :) ) will let the others recuperate and chill him out.

That's a shame about Pearls. You lose all but the one?

To be honest, I haven't had any problems with angels until recently. Maybe reading threads on problems with angels jinxed me. We bought three a six weeks ago and they were all clobbered to death. I suspect a white high fin tetra.

I just heard from my LFS that dwarf gouramis were quite a bit more shy than standard types and that with an angel that they would be running/hiding most of the time. . . I've decided to get one angel and one gourami in my 30g long tank. Can't really fit anymore than that. :roll:

So, tell me all of you multi-tankers, how does one rationalize the purchase/footprint need of a newer, bigger tank? :grin:

My tank is one year old. Was running well until a few days ago. Now seems to be fine again. I'll keep it up with the W. Cs. and see what happens in the coming weeks.

And then I'll try the angels again. May be I'll try two so they are not lonely.

Thank you all!

Beware getting a male/female pair when getting three; angels + spawning = dead/unhappy other fishes.

Two isn't a very good idea. one will be the only object of aggression and really get the crap beat out of him. three is better than two, and five is the ideal number, but in a tank of 30 gal. you could probably get three small angels and go from there. As with what tomk2 said, he is right, you should add them all at the same time, and as the last addition to the tank. any new comers will be seen as intruders and killed. But if unavoidable change the tank's decor arrangement to confuse the angels when adding new fish.

3 angels in a 30 gallon tank? Would there be enough room for all of them once they grow up a little? What happens when two pair off? :?

I'm sticking with one angel in my 30 gallon. :wink:

"What is gonna be, boy? What is gonna be?"
One or 3?
:?

How do I know if they are males or females? I don't trust the lfs anymore!

Its too bad you don't live closer. I want to get rid of mine, but I can't bring myself to take him to the lfs. If I knew he was going to a good home... I am just going to get another take down the road.

That's a shame about Pearls. You lose all but the one?
No, I have two. Two died, Nursed one back to health, have the agressive one in a QT for now. I am hoping a week or two in the Slammer will calm it down, and let the other fish get their health and confidence back. Then I will try again. I am not very optimistic that this will work, so I might have to send him back to the LFS eventually. sigh.

Back
Top Bottom