Angels again.. i know, but this time they kissed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, ive been watching these two angels over the past 2 months make pairing up type behavior, swimming together, pecking at different areas of the aquarium. Today they were chasing each other around and pecking at each other and they kissed!!! They actually locked lips. I have read about this behavior and im excited, i put a piece of slate in at a 45 degree angle.. so i hope they use that and i hope they spawn!!!

mattrox said:
This usually indicates a spawn is imminent.

i can only hope!!! it was so cool when they locked lips, i told my husband "LOOK THEIR KISSING!

If you notice any nudging in the side and one of them appearing docile, you do have a breeding pair. Hopefully this will lead to many successful spawns. :)

all i have is a camera phone and my waters kinda dark right now because im treating for fungus on my serpae tetras.. but i will try!
only thing is every time i get close to the tank they quite what they'r doing and come up expecting me to feed.. lol. Right now they are picking at teh intake tube of the filter.

turn the light out in the room. This serves two purposes, 1. to make it easier to photograph a tank and 2. they won't be able to see you (you can test this at night by turing lights in the house on and trying to look out a window).

AshleyNicole said:
Ok, ive been watching these two angels over the past 2 months make pairing up type behavior, swimming together, pecking at different areas of the aquarium. Today they were chasing each other around and pecking at each other and they kissed!!! They actually locked lips. I have read about this behavior and im excited, i put a piece of slate in at a 45 degree angle.. so i hope they use that and i hope they spawn!!!

It may indicate an upcoming spawn, but it is still an act of aggression. If the tank is any smaller than 50 gallons I wouldn't keep this pair together full time or one of them may eventually be killed. Particularily the female.
When the male wants to spawn and the female isn't ready this results in a fight 9 times out of 10. Without sufficient amount of space to get away the female will be harassed to death.
Make no mistake, kissing among angels(and cichlids in general) is NOT a good thing.

cdawson said:
It may indicate an upcoming spawn, but it is still an act of aggression. If the tank is any smaller than 50 gallons I wouldn't keep this pair together full time or one of them may eventually be killed. Particularily the female.
When the male wants to spawn and the female isn't ready this results in a fight 9 times out of 10. Without sufficient amount of space to get away the female will be harassed to death.
Make no mistake, kissing among angels(and cichlids in general) is NOT a good thing.

hmmm... i think it would have been appropriat for you to view my profile and my tank size before assuming I would have angelfish in anything smaller than a 50 gallon aquaruim... It so happens that they are in a 55 gallon thank you very much.

Well they never spawned, I think it may be because my serpae tetras got fungus... im back in school for the fall and i haven't been doing weekly water changes, so that may have been a contributor... but I cleared up the fungus with Melafix and did a 50% water change two weeks ago and this week after the fungus was gone. The two still swim together but they didn't spawn... they were showing BREEDING tubes at the time though!!! So now i know which is teh male and which is the female.

would medication treatement inhibit a spawn? Or increased Nitrates from lack of water changes? the nitrates weren't over 20 but i usually keep them around 5-10 because i do have live plants... so maybe thats why? Or maybe they felt threatened by my other fish? Because i do have a very active aquarium, and if they felt like the other fish would eat their egges would they not spawn?

would medication treatement inhibit a spawn? Or increased Nitrates from lack of water changes? the nitrates weren't over 20 but i usually keep them around 5-10 because i do have live plants... so maybe thats why? Or maybe they felt threatened by my other fish? Because i do have a very active aquarium, and if they felt like the other fish would eat their egges would they not spawn?

Anything but pristine conditions will inhibit a spawn. Depending on the tank's condition, the female could "dump" her eggs as well.

Once a pair is formed, they will not give two cents about the other tankmates. They will go about their business and protect the spawn site.

awesome, they are definitely a pair, as they are ALWAYS together.. I was concerned about my third angel.. its kind of the third wheel i guess... lol, sometimes he/she will challenge on of the others and then it will swim off on its own, they used to all swim together but now the smallest one is always by itself... should i sell it to the fish store? Or as long as its not getting hurt is it ok byitself? If the pair is on one side then it will be on the other side by himself.

The third angel is going to have to go, while 55 gallons may be enough for one pair. It's definately not enough for one pair plus a loner.
Once the pair starting actually spawning they will become ALOT more aggressive and take over the entire tank.

Back
Top Bottom