Angels = Hard to keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just how hard are angels to keep? I have heard that they are hard to keep and that they are pretty easy going types. I know that they can stress out, and to keep agresive species out of the tank. I was hoping to add 2 or 3 angels to my 29 gal tank, with the tetras and buying some more mollies.

When your angels get older, they might eat the neons. Otherwise it looks good, but you might want to wait till Ally gives you the OK.

I wouldn't keep adult angels with anything that they fit in their mouths. They aren't especially hard to keep, but they are a bit more sensitive to water quality than some other hardier fish.

Taken from aquariumfiish.net
Compatibility. Either one Angel to an aquarium or more than 3. Angels are Cichlids and like most Cichlids, if you keep just 2 or 3 in the same aquarium, the strongest one will make the others miserable. Angels do very well in a group with 6 or more Angels in a large aquarium with at least 50 gallons of water that is at least 18" deep.

Here is a list of tropical fish that are usually compatible with Angel Fish: Silver Dollars, Bigger Tetras such as Black Skirts, Serpaes, and Silver Tips, Corydoras Catfish, Livebearers such as Platies, Swordtails, and Mollies, but not Guppies which may be eaten by Angels, and one Plecostomus Catfish.

Angel Fish are often seen in aquariums with Gouramis, Giant Danios, Rainbows, a group of Bala Sharks, and a group of Clown Loaches.

As Angel Fish grow larger, they become very efficient at stalking and eating small fish like Guppies and Neon Tetras. So they are not compatible tank mates for these fish.

Angels are susceptible to a disease called Hole in the Head. Click here for information about this disease.

Size and Life Span. Angel Fish can grow to be 12" tall and probably taller. I have seen Angel Fish with bodies 6" in diameter, but it is unusual for them to grow this big. Angel Fish are known to have lived for at least 10 years, and with exceptionally good care they can probably live even longer.

If you check the profiles forum, you can read the article I wrote on em Dietta; that may answer some of your questions.

In my experience, angels are a LOT hardier then they are given credit for. Before I got a clue I cycled an 8g hex with 2 angelfish. One died 8 months later, but that was because the other kicked his butt - all my fault as the tank was WAY too small. I still have the other 2 years later and he's my breeding male.

If your neons are mature and larger then an inch, and you buy the angels around quarter size or smaller, they will likely not eat them when they get larger (no guarantees tho).

The only issue I see with your tank is the mollies. Angels and tetras prefer soft water with a lower pH; mollies need a higher pH and hard water.

You certainly have room for 3 tho. Just keep in mind, if 2 decide to breed, they may beat up the third. I have 2 in my 25g with 4 rams, and 5 in my 55g with 6 loaches and a plec. Initially I had 6 in there, and all was well till someone *looks at Brian* gave me another angel. I moved out the mated pair and left 5 in the 55g. Turns out the new angel is a she; she stole my black lace's boyfriend, and is beating her up (the black lace will be moving as soon as my QT cycles). Hussy.

You certainly have room for 3 tho. Just keep in mind, if 2 decide to breed, they may beat up the third.

Then agian, maybe not! I have three in my 90. The silver(male) and the koi have bred several times. During the whole breeding process, the black veil (other male) got a few nips out of his fins, but nothing that made me even worry. However, I do realize in a 90 he had room to get out of the way, in a 29 this would prolly be adifferent story.

Yeah, its more of a prob in a smaller tank. Also depends on the fish's personality. When I had the 6 in the 55g, including the mated pair, things were status quo; there was a little aggression and the occasional split fin, and it was actually the black lace who was the most aggressive but no one got beat to heck. But with moving out the breeding pair, and adding the new silver thats all changed. She is VERY aggressive, and has taken over the tank, despite being the new kid on the block (and I didn't even rearrange the tank when I added her - she just made herself at home). My poor black lace has lost a number of scales and looks like mugging victim, and will be moved out as soon as I get a new tank and rearrange everything. Surprisingly tho, she could care less about the others; my guess is all the others are male (I know the black lace and the new silver are female; I've seen their bits LOL).

Hmmmm. Sorry I gave you such a bully Alli. But just think what a good mom she will be *chuckle*. Angels are cichlids and IME do become very aggressive and territorial at breeding time.

Angels have always been one of my favorites to keep. When I first started Deitta, I would buy 5 or 6 small ones and grow them out in a 29g. As the fish matured and paired off, they would then get their own home.

Heh, don't be Brian; all my angels AND rams are aggressive! I think it makes things more interesting *grin* The only one she's picking on was the tank bully, so what comes around goes around ;)

Angels are great fish. They can be aggressive toward each other and other fish. Some are more aggressive than others. Don't put in with any tetras that can fit into their mouths. I have my angel in with Rummy nose tetras, black lyretail molly, and some otto's. This combo does well together.

I have nothing to add to this. I just enjoy hearing Alli talks about hussies and "bits", lol

Mee Too! Ally, your brit slang cracks me up. Hubby really rubbed off some lingo on you, didn't he?

Back to Angels, Dietta. Give them a try! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! You're doing a good job researching, which I admire, but sometimes you have to take a calculated risk. I think you really want to get some Angels, (just tsking some clues from the tone of your posts) and I say Go For It! Get small ones, so they have time to grow up with your tetras and stuff, and will see them as neighbors, not food.

Thank you all! I so love this site! The real experienced people helping us poor beginers, it's just so (sniff) wonderfull (sniff, sniff). I have no friends who are interested in tanks, so I have no one to share or ask for advice. And my favorite LFS just went under, so the one experienced person I knew... isn't around anymore. :cry:

Seriously, ahem, thank you all.
Going to the LFS on Wed to check out the angels! What do I look for if I want to get 3 of the most peacefull? Two females and one male? How do I sex them?

Angels can only be accurately sexed as adults at spawning time. Look to buy fish that have erect fins and good color. Don't buy any that aren't actively swimming at the lfs. Also, the entire tank should look healthy to you :D

*nods and agrees with Brian*

There is no definitive way to sex angels. Lots of rumors, but for every one your read, someone has an angel that doesn't conform to it LOL Without seeing their bits (stop laughing Sati, Corvu ;P) there is no sure way. And really, it makes no diff what combo you get, unless you wind up with a pair that decide to mate. The odd man out may be in trouble then; depends on the personality of each fish. Some pairs are fine with another angel in the tank, other pairs want the third wheel GONE. I have 7 atm; 5 in the 55g and the breeding pair in the 25g. The breeding pair claimed 1/3 of the 55g and were fine with it. The new female I have in there wants the ENTIRE tank. Go figure LOL

Oooh! And look for a local fish club near you! I did, and I'm thrilled *grin* Hubby isn't a fish addict, nor are my friends. *sniffle* If it weren't for madasafish and BrianNY I don't know what I'd do LOL

You guys should move out here and liven things up in Seattle! :p I joined the local club because my BF and my friends aren't crazy (BF's word!) for fish like I am but everybody is at least 20 years older than me that I've seen so far. I feel kind of silly, heh. I drag my BF along but he does *not* look forward to going because he thinks it's a big snore.

Or maybe you should move to NY Holly. It's anything but a snoe. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom