Angles and Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docrak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you keep angle fish and peacocks together in the same tank? They are supposed to be non-aggressive. I have some Juvenal peacock males (1.5 inches) that are getting beat up. The tank is 60 gallons and is heavily planted and also has some corries and ottos in it.

just out of curiosity, why? I was trying to decide on a SA Cichlid set up as well, and I love the peacock cichlids, but I currently have a pair of angels. Why would you not recommend doing this?

hsherman1986 said:
just out of curiosity, why? I was trying to decide on a SA Cichlid set up as well, and I love the peacock cichlids, but I currently have a pair of angels. Why would you not recommend doing this?
you are talking about malawi peacocks right?
1. angels and peacocks require different water conditions
2. peacocks are aggressive fish, maybe not as aggressive as the average Mbunas but way to aggressive for an angel...

JDogg said:
hsherman1986 said:
you are talking about malawi peacocks right?
1. angels and peacocks require different water conditions
2. peacocks are aggressive fish, maybe not as aggressive as the average Mbunas but way to aggressive for an angel...

I can understand theoretically how this might be true. In my case both fish are in the same Ph water and the hardness is about the same in both tanks. These are tank bread fish, they have no idea what africa is.

My only concern is the aggressive nature of africans versus the timid angle fish. My peacocks don't bother any other fish other than another peacock.

I was wondering if someone has done this by accident or an purpose in the past and what the results were.

It doesn't matter if they have no idea what africa is, it is in their nature to be aggressive. IMO the Peacocks would harass the Angels. I have mixed SAs and Africans and had to end up moving the SAs out of the tank.

Maybe someone who has experience specifically mixing Angels and Africans will respond.

ALRC do better in higher ph's - They can survive in lower ph's, but that is just adaptation.

SA cichlids do better in lower ph's - They can survive in higher ph's, but that is just adaptation.

Despite popular belief, Angels are not the fun loving, peaceful fish folks believe them to be. They can and will be aggressive when the need arises. Peacocks, from what I been led to believe, are also aggressive. The combination is a possible warzone.

I doubt very highly if you will see someone who has attempted this combo. I will definitely shake that persons hand if they have.

I have angelfish and peacocks. Not in the same tank. My angelfish are aggressive to all newcomers and the peacocks get really agressive when trying to breed, or if they feel like their territory is being disturbed. I would not keep them in the same tank because of the behaviours they display. Also angelfish are much slower moving than peacocks and wouldn't stand much of a chance IMO against peacocks.

besides the aggressive nature of the peacocks, their constant helter-skelter runs would stress out the calm angels.

I agree in the most part. They might start off fine when they are young, but it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

ok, i went retarded for a moment. For some reason I thought peacocks were SA. Wow, I need to do more research lol.

( In my defense, the only cichlids I have kept so far are angels, and GBRs lol)

whoops :oops:

hsherman1986 said:
ok, i went retarded for a moment. For some reason I thought peacocks were SA. Wow, I need to do more research lol.

( In my defense, the only cichlids I have kept so far are angels, and GBRs lol)

whoops :oops:

No problem hsherman, pretty easy error to make. I've done that myself.

This is the exact reason I love AA so much, help and support with no scorning. A fantastic way to learn this great hobby IMO.

Back
Top Bottom