Anomolachromis thomasi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone had this kind of Cichlid before? Should they be kept in pairs? Since they are only "mildly aggressive" can they be kept with Red Cherry shrimp and a pleco?

The tank is 20 long and will have wood/tall plants with a few hiding spots.

If this one cannot, what single cichlid can coexist peacefully with one pleco and a bunch of shrimp?

:thanks: for your expert advice!

They might eat the shrimp, but if theres enough cover(plants) you might be good. Im putting cory cats and some tetras in my tank

I was thinking that. especially the baby ones. Then I would not have to feed them as much? What kind of tetras?

I have cardinals, love the color they bring to the 55 gal. I am thinking one or 2 of the dwarf butterfly cichlids, an L200 green phantom pleco, and some red cherry shrimp. All three are my favorite

Cool! I hope this fits in a 20 gal:
2(pair) of ABC's
5/6 juili cories
4/5 cardnial tetras
Wat u think

I think that should work. I would stick to 5 with the cardinals IMO. The cories should be fine as well. I would ask someone more knowledgable than myself. I have not kept cories yet. It looks fine to me though.

Mine are mostly a little over 1". I do have one that is about 1 3/4" and is larger than the rest. I dont think they get over 2".

Yep theyll be fine. ha now I just need someone to answer my original question lol

Has anyone had this kind of Cichlid before? Should they be kept in pairs? Since they are only "mildly aggressive" can they be kept with Red Cherry shrimp and a pleco?

The tank is 20 long and will have wood/tall plants with a few hiding spots.

If this one cannot, what single cichlid can coexist peacefully with one pleco and a bunch of shrimp?

I have a single African Butterfly cichlid in one of my planted 20 gals. There are neon tetra and RCS in there as well. Everyone gets along together very well. This is a more timid cichlid IME...I wouldn't put it with any busy/aggressive tankmates. Mine loves plants/rocks/things to swim through.

African Butterfly Cichlid (Anomalochromis thomasi) - Seriously Fish

I have a single African Butterfly cichlid in one of my planted 20 gals. There are neon tetra and RCS in there as well. Everyone gets along together very well. This is a more timid cichlid IME...I wouldn't put it with any busy/aggressive tankmates. Mine loves plants/rocks/things to swim through.

African Butterfly Cichlid (Anomalochromis thomasi) - Seriously Fish

Seeing how plecos are not very busy/aggressive, you think they can be kept together? I do remember you showed me yours with neons before!

I wouldn't see any problem with a pleco as a tank mate. African Butterflies are a very good natured, friendly little fish...I would definitely reccommend one to anyone looking for a small cichlid.

A beginner to cichlids as well. Thanks for your help again Coleallensmom! I think I am going to think about whether or not I should get one or two for a while.

Back
Top Bottom