Another batch of African fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I have another holding female. 8O I don't know what type of African she is. She's gray with black bars. The top fin is lined with an orange strip, just on the top. I don't think I have a male of the same kind, so I'm thinking that they are probably mixed. Now that I see that she is holding, could I remove her and put her in a different tank? Or should I just leave her in the 150 gal for a week or two? I just noticed her mouth this morning. She's been eating lately and I saw her eat last night. So they are possibly just eggs. But then again I thought the same thing about the Cobalt but she spit out fry the next morning. I'll try to get pics of her tonight once I get a different digital camera.

Opinions?

I think it is great if you have another female holding :). I would personally remove her as there is more chance of the fry and female being ok and healthy

I don't have cichlids yet, so I can only tell you what I have had friends do. One friend removes her holding momma as soon as she knows she is holding to a breeding tank. She doesn't want to take the chance the fry will be eaten, her tank is a 80 gal.

I did that with Cobalt, removed her from the tank the day before she released the fry. I have no clue what kind of cichlid she is. Not the typical mbuna or hap. But reminds me of an mbuna. Longer mouth though. Since she is probably holding eggs, do you think the 29 will be better for her? Since the eggs take about 2 to 3 weeks before they hatch to fry, I think the 10 gal may be a little small for a new mother.

Currently in the 29 gal tank is 2 spiny peacock eels and a rubbermouth pleco. Do you see any issues with the eels eating the fry?

Prego

I find that the sooner you remove the female the happier everyone is. Once she is carrying she will become stressed by the presence of other fish and then you run the risk of losing the kids... not good for you her of the fry.

Anyone?

BTW- We so far have 29 healthy Cobalt fry still living. :D They have all survived and are swimming happily in a larger tank.

I would think the eels would try to eat the fry. It might stress mom trying to stop them. Still would be better than in the big tank.

The cobalt fry are in the 29 gal tank now. James netted them out of the 10 gal and counted them, 29! So it would be best for them to be in a larger tank considering that they are growing like weeds. The mother is going to have to be in the 10 gal unless she wouldn't mind being with another fishes fry for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom