Another epidemic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some searching, and from what i found it just seems to be a pond snail........nothing harmful, actually a lot of people said they keep algae down and fish sometimes snack on them. Could of been brought in with new plant, only bad thing is they sometimes bury themselves in substrate and can multiply like crazy! im gonna say not harmful, but remove.

k.mascher86 said:
I did some searching, and from what i found it just seems to be a pond snail........nothing harmful, actually a lot of people said they keep algae down and fish sometimes snack on them. Could of been brought in with new plant, only bad thing is they sometimes bury themselves in substrate and can multiply like crazy! im gonna say not harmful, but remove.

Ok thanks for your help. Never seen one in my tank before. Maybe because I stirred everything up re arranging things and taking some things out brought this creature to the surface.

Convict2161 said:
Well this is the result of what's been going on with me and my tank. After talking to whom I consider a good friend and a member on the forum. I did some overhauling and redecorating and I even removed some Cichlid stones to open the tank up. It killed me to do it but I can always pack everything back in if need be.

So I need you to please please be honest. All of you know how I pride myself on my aquascaping of my tank. So I want the cold hard truth be honest.

Here it is. Please excuse the water as I stirred up debris and now I'll have to clean the glass and do a water change and gravel vac since I can get too sooooo many places I couldn't before. Then take a look at the last pic! What is it and how the... Did it get into my tank?!?! Is it a sign of what's been going on or is it nothing? Last pic.

Side tank shot to show how much more open it is and less cluttered.

And this just appeared....

**NOTE**

Isn't it sad how empty the tank looks? Maybe it's for the better? Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better but as you can see I don't think it's an overstocked tank anymore. Looks a lot different no? Do I still have a nice tank? :(

It kinda looks like a malaysian trumpet snail?

I have not a clue. How does it just appear. An I forgot to post this. I caught this before it died. Maybe this will help.

k.mascher86 said:
That's how you found him? just spiraling?

Yup I was like what the!?!?! And then he just went BAM! To the filter! Dead! I maybe could have tried to net it and put it in m 10 gallon I felt kinda bad but felt I needed this video to show some of the things going on.

My buddy from the fish shop said he was probably beaten up and most his balance or took a shot to the head or something. It looked healthy when I took it out no markings.

Also from a quick google. And the snail looks just like a Malaysian trumpet snail

Looks better I think ;) What did you do to the zebra:( ? I don't think that zebra has anything to do with the others. Since they was dropping like flys and now you haven't had one dead in a while.
Now for the snail
They really can't do any harm that I know of. If you want to keep then you better get it out. I am pretty sure peacocks eat snails in the wild so it won't be in your tank long.

Andrew McFadden said:
Looks better I think ;) What did you do to the zebra:( ? I don't think that zebra has anything to do with the others. Since they was dropping like flys and now you haven't had one dead in a while.
Now for the snail
They really can't do any harm that I know of. If you want to keep then you better get it out. I am pretty sure peacocks eat snails in the wild so it won't be in your tank long.

Thanks Andy! It took a lot to do what I did to it. The one in in the video? It was dead stuck to the filter.The other one I netted is at my friends store and he told me its a nasty fish and had to be moved to an empty 55g. Never got around to taking the snail out so it's in there still.

The snail looks like MTS to me, a lot of people keep them in their cichlid tanks. They stay in the substrate during the day, aerating it and eating decomposing food etc. then, at night they come out and go up the glass, eating any algae that may be on there.

As for the tank......looks AWESOME!!!! I was expecting a barren deserted tank but that's not the case! Funny though, I've heard people saying to add more hiding places but never to take stuff out because there is too much!

A balance of open swimming space and hiding spots are equally important in a cichlid tank, as fish need both the open space to run, and the hiding places to duck into. It also allows nondominant fish to more easily see the territory claimed by dominant ones if there is some open space.

At this point it appears that the mystery has been solved eh? As was suggested, the issue is aggression rather than water quality, despite the lack of torn up fins, etc. In my 20 years of cichlid keeping, I've lost more than my fair share of cichlids to aggression, and in that time I've only had two that showed very obvious signs of physical abuse. I was able to save both of those and reintroduce them to the tank. The ones you lose are the ones that show no obvious signs and then are just dead.

Personally, its one of the reasons that I've gone to no more than one to three compatible species per tank. While it may reduce the overall flair of the tank, it changes the dynamics of the tank significantly, and if you make the right color choices in the ones you choose to host together, you really do lose little of the attraction. Since making the switch a number of years ago, I can count the number of fish I've lost to aggression on a single hand. Much easier on the pocketbook. I've also found in a one to three species tank the ratio of female to male isn't nearly as important. In fact over time if you allow the fry to remain in the tank, the ratio gets all out of wack, and so long as you remove other males which begin to challenge your dominant male, aggression issues are almost nil.

At this point, it appears this thread has run its course, the mystery is solved and we are diverging into lots of other side bars which are probably best addressed in their own threads. Therefore, I'm shutting down the thread. Please feel free to start new threads on the new topics which have been cropping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom