Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so in the passed 2 weeks I've lost 10 fish. My overstocked tank is becoming well... A not so overstocked tank.

Fry are all fine. I'm losing little fish to those that have been with me from the beginning. 3"+ fish.

I've checked my parameters everyday and have no issues.

The only thing that has changed is the temp due to heat waves and well... It just being hotter. I've limited my lights to just a couple of hours for viewing when I want to relax or when company is over and even then I only turn 2 bulbs on instead of all 4. Other then that I just leave the lights off, no plants anymore so light isn't a priority. Seems though every time I turn the lights on there's a dead fish either upside down or stuck to the aquaclear 110 which leads me to believe it was sick and weak to get stuck to that intake. A healthy fish shouldn't be getting stuck to my intakes.

Water parameters are always

pH 8.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

NitrAtes 10-20 (never zero) always in a shade of orange never red anymore.

Temp has gotten as high as 81.5 but I've read that's no big deal. At night sometimes it gets to 78.8 so there's what? A 2 degree fluctuation here and there? Can that be it? I feed smaller amounts 2x's a day due to the heat. I read that the heat makes them more active so I want them to be fed. I feed Sera veggie flakes.

Not sure what else to do. I do a 50% water change every week with sometimes a small 20% change in between. I have the fx5 and AC 110 running the tank. Nothing new has been added to the tank. I did move some decor around a few weeks back.

That's see.... I have 4 females holding. Some of saw the videos and also pointed out there may have been more holding and like I said before the babies are all fine huddled in there spot with mom.

There has been an abundance of digging in my tank, every day there's a new spot. The aggression as far as I see has not changed unless when the lights go out things change. The fish all appear to be hungry anytime I walk by the tank and the ones that I find dead we're swimming and eating like nothing was wrong. Non of these fish showed me signs of anything. They all displayed themselves as healthy.

So I'm at a loss. I just found another one dead this morning not too long ago and just performed a 50% water change and used a little cooler water so it's now 78.9 instead 80.5 that it was prior.

I'm attaching a pic of my deceased finned friend so that maybe someone can pick up something I can't.

Thanks in advance,

Dino

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4264932640.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	104762

Name:	image-1357701959.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	104763

Name:	image-1577160399.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	104764

This how most of them are found. Mouth wide open and eyes just as you see.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

First just wanted to say sorry for your loss. I'm gutted for ya.

As water conditions seem ok, I thought maybe you have a killer fish. I've had aggressive fish actively seek and destroy 5 fish in as many days. Then went calm again.
But I'm not sure this is the case.

Has there been any stringy poo and any other signs of internal parasites?

Moving decor around can in some cases cause a large amount of stress, especially when females and protecting a hold, it is possible although may not be the case that this stress has lead to colominaris ( check spelling) so might be worth researching as the symptoms can change from fish to fish. And can be hard detect until too late.

Moving decor may also have cause fights to break out over establishing new territories. Which also could be the case.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukdans1k
First just wanted to say sorry for your loss. I'm gutted for ya.

As water conditions seem ok, I thought maybe you have a killer fish. I've had aggressive fish actively seek and destroy 5 fish in as many days. Then went calm again.
But I'm not sure this is the case.

Has there been any stringy poo and any other signs of internal parasites?

Moving decor around can in some cases cause a large amount of stress, especially when females and protecting a hold, it is possible although may not be the case that this stress has lead to colominaris ( check spelling) so might be worth researching as the symptoms can change from fish to fish. And can be hard detect until too late.

Moving decor may also have cause fights to break out over establishing new territories. Which also could be the case.

Good luck.
Thanks. I've battles columnaris in the passed and lost almost 20 fish!! I'm not seeing signs of that in this case. I don't see signs of any sickness or markings on the fish to lead me to believe so...

I was thinking also, do I have a killer fish? If so I need to find it! I'm thinking these fish are just being stalked in the dark and killed. Could that be? Under the cover of the moonlight could this killer fish go out and just kill?

Like I said its been every time the lights come on there's another dead fish. An some are big fish!!

I've been looking at my tank for hours, haven't slept yet trying to see if I can pick out anything strange. They all seem calm and pretty much in there spots just sitting there. Not much activated other then my bottom dwellers.

Some are at the bottom, others at the top and then some in there little Cichlid stones. I even had 2 fish stuck to my power head.

Looking at the fish during the day I can't point one out and say this fish is showing signs of something like when I battled columnaris when I had many fish showing signs and was able to bring some back with heavy meds and many many water changes.

This time is different. No signs... Just death.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for the loss, lost my favourite this week to bloat, Blackeyed Golden Bristlenose - gutted, didn't see it until it was to late.

Stab in the dark, but have you tested for heavy metals? Read an article a few months ago about a guy loosing fish in a Cichlid tank, tested everything and in the end it was due to rocks he had put in releasing metals into the water, mainly copper.

Hope you find whats doing it as your tank is stunning.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you and sorry for your loss as well. I'll have the water tested by the local pool company, they test the water everything. I've been down his route before and found that my local water company are a bunch of crooks! For lack of better words. They lie and lie and it's so obvious too!

Funny thing is... They must have forgotten I'm the fire chief and on the county Haz-Mat team so they can run!! But they can't hide. If all tests come back ok I'm gonna have to look into a possible killer in the tank. I'll have to go CSI on this.

Someone in one o my other threads said I had some crazy threads. I'm starting to think that person was right!!

This is just crazy!! Between the tanks breaking during shipment to my battle with majano to now a predator in my tank.

I'll go Scuba Steve on this...

Name:   image-736400609.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  51.6 KB

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Thank you and sorry for your loss as well. I'll have the water tested by the local pool company, they test the water everything. I've been down his route before and found that my local water company are a bunch of crooks! For lack of better words. They lie and lie and it's so obvious too!

Funny thing is... They must have forgotten I'm the fire chief and on the county Haz-Mat team so they can run!! But they can't hide. If all tests come back ok I'm gonna have to look into a possible killer in the tank. I'll have to go CSI on this.

Someone in one o my other threads said I had some crazy threads. I'm starting to think that person was right!!

This is just crazy!! Between the tanks breaking during shipment to my battle with majano to now a predator in my tank.

I'll go Scuba Steve on this...
While your threads may be entertaining they are also VERY informative! If anyone can crack the case we know it'll be you.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you... I'll get to the bottom of this. Called the pool company Nu Clear Pool Company in Port Chester NY. There more then happy to test the water, I just have to bring 16oz of tank water.

Heading over there today. With tank and tap water.

If all is well with the water then....

Name:   image-3931870399.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  40.1 KB

I think we may have a killer on our hands! Let's get the evidence wrapped up and brought back to the lab.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not again!

Say, if these fish were lost to aggression, one would think that you would be seeing some fin and/or scale damage. Are you seeing any of this?
Also, can't the County/City, or whomever tests house well water test water samples for toxins as well?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labenator65000
Not again!

Say, if these fish were lost to aggression, one would think that you would be seeing some fin and/or scale damage. Are you seeing any of this?
Also, can't the County/City, or whomever tests house well water test water samples for toxins as well?
No signs of fighting so your right you would think I would see something. There just dead. An yea I'll be testing for everything. But the local water department won't do it. I'll have to pull some strings.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #10

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but all your having is aggression issues, if it were water quality problems the fry would be the first ones to die. There are reasons why we give stocking recommendations with aggressive fish like african cichlids, your only seeing matured fish being killed over dominance and territory desputes. My advice is to start rethinking your current stock and re-read some guidelines on stocking agressive fish in a small tank. Contrary to popular belief overstocking hyper aggressive fish is not a surefire remedy to control aggression, more importantly when properly stocked this is completely unnecessary.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com