Another "Sex my GBR" thread... very confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so apparently I'm not great at this. The info on sexing them is very confusing; they all seem to have an "elongated" tail to me... and the pelvic fins on mine have a pink "tint" so the bellies, of course, look pink.
I also have an EBR, sooo I have no clue on him/her.

Can anyone help please?

img_1909071_0_5ea1106cf6450000462b526824bd2c20.jpg

img_1909071_1_429b353273e97e804d0a11bbd411dfd9.jpg

img_1909071_2_6f6ae6545171a77c2714e03d9a0117de.jpg

img_1909071_3_32a631819443dd42e57fbd0ec922537a.jpg

There is one more that has no real black lining on its pelvic fins, and it is the largest of the group.
There is nothing distinguishing about this one (maybe stressed?) No black dot to check for sheen, no black lining on fins, no coloration on belly.. etc

img_1909071_4_dc0bea876a4f19217ad20abbad12af3c.jpg

The lfs said there are 2 female and 1 male of the GBR and they said that all the EBR's "looked" male.

Would you agree?
Ideas? Inputs? Thoughts?

Thank you.
You think they're all females? How can you tell? (sorry... I'm still learning)

Yeah. The two in the first couple of pics I'm almost positive are girls.
There's "pink" belly, they have the dark lining on the pelvic fins, and there is easily noticeable blue shimmer through the black spot.

The EBR, I'm not so sure. It's belly looks light blue/grey lol... but it has the dark lining on the pelvic fins. No spot to be seen on this coloration.

The gbr in the last pic, no black lining on pelvic fins, no spot to check for coloration, and I just can't tell if the belly looks pink. It's a very pale yellowish color throughout with little shades of black here and there. I'm guessing it's stressed and i'll have to wait.

If they're all girls that's cool cause then I can buy a male EBR and male GBR and have MORE RAMS!!! :D

Here's a better pic of the EBR

img_1910653_0_1021ad169b011fa9616d2319e9d3822b.jpg

and the mystery GBR; it's weird s/he gets like this half coloration, almost like a saltwater dottyback... where the front half is gbr/gold but the rear half is nearly identical to the EBR. Crazy lookin fish...

img_1910653_1_67e101c09a7658353135d40d88f3f1c6.jpg

This one is male.

Thank you.
I was leaning towards that since the belly is solid gold, there's not a trace of pink - plus his dorsal fin meets the description for males pretty well.

I think with the EBR's the best bet is to check out their dorsal. The black spines (2nd or 3rd) are either uniform in length with the rest, or they shoot way above the rest.

I'm guessing if it shoots up higher than the others, it is a male, correct?

I've also read that the blue shimmering specks shine through the black dot on the side of the GBR If it is female, not sure how reliable that is though

I've also read that the blue shimmering specks shine through the black dot on the side of the GBR If it is female, not sure how reliable that is though

Yeah. For the first two it's very bold through the dot; which is why I assumed they were female.
The "mystery" guy doesn't have a black dot at all, and the EBR's don't have dots ... That's why I assumed I'd have to go by the dorsal

here's 2 pics of my gbrs. they are both male. hope it helps.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/36993-albums8518-picture32706.jpg[IMG]

[url=http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/36993-albums8518-picture32703.html]Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - jpchin's Album: Freshwater - Picture[/url][/QUOTE]

Wow... they have awesome coloring! Beautiful rams!

Yeah, the dorsals on those guys come to a very defined point, and they seem to have a "hump" on their head.
Maybe mine are too young to notice these types of things yet...

Yeah. For the first two it's very bold through the dot; which is why I assumed they were female.
The "mystery" guy doesn't have a black dot at all, and the EBR's don't have dots ... That's why I assumed I'd have to go by the dorsal

Wow... they have awesome coloring! Beautiful rams!

Yeah, the dorsals on those guys come to a very defined point, and they seem to have a "hump" on their head.
Maybe mine are too young to notice these types of things yet...

thanks. i love my rams. they didn't have nearly this much color when i first got them. they are about 3 1/2 inches in these pics. also i feed live black worms and they bring out the color in all my fish. my rams were sexed when i bought them so i'm almost certain they are males.:fish2:

well thank you for the pics, that definitely gives something to compare to!
I should look into the live blackworms.. I just feed my fish the little dry bloodworms and frozen beefheart

the BLACK worms have really made a difference in my rams. feeding live food i think just makes them healthier, more colorful and gets the growth so they reach their full potential. i live close to a fish store called "that fish place/that pet place" in lancaster, pa. i feel very lucky to have that store so close. it's a great place with marine biologists that work there. they can answer pretty much any question you have. anyway that's where i get my live worms. they have a web site and ship all over the country but i don't know if they ship the black worms. they have an 888 number. it's 1-888-842-8738. you might also ask a local fish store if they can order them for you. they are california black worms. the chain stores like petsmart don't have them in my area but you could still ask. if you do find a supplier you will have to take care of the worms almost daily. they need to be kept in the refrigerator in a container with a tight fitting lid. (luckily my husband doesn't mind having worms in the fridge) a tupperware container is good. you also will need a fine mesh net so you can rinse the worms with treated water daily. these worms need to be kept in pristine shape and NEVER feed dead or dying worms to your fish. they are called black worms but they are brown in color and very active when healthy. any worms that are turning white or not moving very much should be discarded. the nice thing about live food is it will not foul your water. if the fish miss a few worms they will bury under your gravel and they can live indefinetly. that being said you want to feed slowly so most are eaten. even my shrimp like the worms. it's fun to watch them sneak up on a worm and grab it. i was advised to feed live by the people at that fish place. i'm glad i started and i feed all my fish live every other day for the past 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom