Another what sex ram I am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BadJack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking at this little one not sure where to go. It has a dominate 2nd spike nice black spot, but has some spangling showing in it. pictures aren't great always sits and watches me until I pull out the camera :/

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111028_170025.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111028_170025.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20111028_170040.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111028_170040.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20111028_170106.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111028_170106.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 66
Was hoping so. Always nice for a second opinion. Thanks for the quick reply.

*edit . Ive leaned both ways its still small . Hoping its a male have a local breeder with some nice females. either way just want to find a partner for "it"

Female, everything points to female. Pink belly, iridescence in black spot, and strong black on pec fins. Deffinately a girl.

I find the only real way to tell is the Pink belly because all my males display signs of females except that

Nothing is really reliable if you focus on one sign. You need to take multiple into account and even that is a best guess. I have talked to people and seen thier male rams that have pink bellies, confirmed males as they have paired and spawned. The only sure fire 100% way is to have it pair up and spawn, other than that its a best guess. You however can be fairly certain if it has multiple male/female traits. The ram in question is most likely female due to the fact that it has most if not all the female traits.

Also if u look carfily in the last shot the breeding tube is down, bigger then it would be with a males.

Thats where I have been back and forth it seems to have signs pointing both ways the second spine on fin is higher it wouldnt put it up and let me get a pic. But, that points to male. It does hav blue in the black spot but only on edges not all thru like most females. It has thick black on lower fins. Fins appear.to be more rounded then pointed. Have also seen the fins on females go close to the dorsal fin but never cross it on females. So guess besto guess for Pat would be get female and male see which way it goes. I do have a pair in another tank imgetting ready to.add.to this tank. Was kinda waiting to see what sex this one was.

The females also tend to have thier dorsal fin taller in the front, the males extended second ray is very distinct. I was actually looking at my female and she is identical to yours.

After looking at some old pics of my male ram (RIP little dude) he looked like yours except he had darker and longer fins (as in darker red). Also more blue. However still looks like yours, so at this point IDK.

Back
Top Bottom