Antisocial Cichlid....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molotov256

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi-

I have a pretty new 55 gallon tank with 10 fish in it. I think its towards the end of "cycling", but lately one of my fish is spending a lot of time hiding behind a plant in the back corner of the tank. I don't know the real name of the fish, but it's a yellow cichlid with black fins, and it used to be one of the most active fish in the tank. No white spots on him, so I'd like to assume he doesn't have ich. Can I give him paxil or something? Is he depressed?

You said you think it's towards the end of the cycling process: have you tested for ammonia and nitrites? It is possible the water parameters have changed and are causing stress for your fish (it sounds like a Yellow Lab, by the way). :D

(it sounds like a Yellow Lab, by the way).
I agree Voodoo Chilli it's sounds like a Labidochromis Caeruleus, which is a African Cichlid from Lake Malawi, you don't say what the other fish in the tank are and it could basically be that it is being harassed by one of the other fish.

What i would do first is check your water parameters ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and also tell us what the other fish in the tank are.

Terry

(it sounds like a Yellow Lab, by the way).

Yep, sound like that. In any case, check its fins to make sure they are not clamped together--which would indicate a health problem. What other kinds of fish do you have in the tank? Yellow Labs (I currently have three) are not as aggressive as some other Africans, and mine prefer to hide in caves unless it's feeding time.

Antisocial Cichlid

The largest fish in the tank is an Albino Oscar, but he's only about 4" long, and he's been pretty mellow so far. There are 5 small blackfin sharks in there, and they've been nipping the oscar's fins a bit, but I've never seen them pay any attention to the cichlids. There are also 2 orange cichlids (again, i dont know the real names), and a golden gourami. (My boss gave me the gourami because it was harassing the other fish in his tank, and I'm supprised it's still alive in mine).

As for the nitrates and amonia, the amonia was a little on the high side last time I checked, and the nitrates were on their way down, which is why I assumed the tank was almost finished cycling. Do you think its the water quality thats bothering the Cichlid?

What is your ph? I have a african cichlid tank and they require a higher ph that south american cichlids and oscars....... Now I'm not sure about the blackfin sharks
and the gourami but I'm just assuming they live in a lower ph as well. If the ph is too low then that can stress out the cichlids (even though only one is showing signs of stress).

I don't have to burst your bubble but it sounds like you may have a disaster on your hands in the future.

The orange cichlids sound like Red zebra's, off hand. They'll get fairly aggressive. The gold gourami will probably get killed first, and then maybe the sharks (I don't personally know anything about him). The oscar will eventually start eating all those fish once he gets large.

Either way, I don't think the tank has a good mix of capatible fish. The yellow lab is going to end up harassed all around, as will the gourami most likely. The red zebras might stick it out, but once that oscar hits a foot or so, chomp.

True...... The oscar will probably grow the fastest too. Not to mention I've heard that they will eat until there is nothing left or they eat themselves to death......... The Oscar will need a much larger tank in the future it it gets to be full size...... blah blah blah..... I'm starting to ramble sorry.

I must ask, did an LFS sell you all these fish at the same time or knowing what you already had in your tank and how big it was? :?:

If so, this is not an LFS I would want to deal with in the future. :!:

You have several types of fish all needing different conditions and several that will get rather violent.

Re: Antisocial Cichlid

molotov256 said:
As for the nitrates and amonia, the amonia was a little on the high side last time I checked, and the nitrates were on their way down, which is why I assumed the tank was almost finished cycling. Do you think its the water quality thats bothering the Cichlid?

Just to clarify, the AMMONIA is registering and the NITRATE levels were going down? If so, water quality is most likely an issue. Ammonia (and nitrites) are deadly; you don't want either in your tank. A cycled tank will have no ammonia, no nitrites and low amounts of nitrates (0-40 is best). I'm wondering if you mistyped that; it should be the ammonia which is going down and the nitrates which are rising.

Yep, sounds like soon that oscar will have a field day.
The lfs should have told you those fish could not be kept together.
But as long as they are getting your $ they dont care.
A 55gal is only big enough for one oscar.
Hope ya can get it all strightened out.
Good luck.

Antisocial Cichlid

I was aware that the cichlids could grow to be aggressive, and I've heard that the oscars could get large and aggressive as well. Most of the people I've talked to said that cichlids were pretty much the only thing I could get with an oscar. Is that wrong?

As for the blackfin sharks- they've been growing the fastest. By the time the Oscar is large enough to eat anything besides flakes and brine shrimp, the sharks should be big enough to defend themselves. I don't plan on keeping ALL the fish once they grow to be full size, but I'd imagine I'll be able to enjoy them for a few years before they outgrow their tank. I'm kinda growing to like the oscar a lot though, so when the time comes, I might have to invest in another tank for him...

I'm aware that the gourami might get his @ss kicked, so to speak, but like I said, he was given to me because he was bullying fish in my boss's tank. So far, none of the other fish have showed any interest in him at all.

Does anybody have any suggestions on more "compatible" fish?

Antisocial Cichlids...

Oh, one more question that's probably entirely stupid...

I'd like to get a crab or crayfish or some sort of bottom dwelling shellfish. Some people have said that crayfish are too aggressive and would eat anything they could get a hold on, and some people say the cichlids will eat the crayfish... any suggestions about that?

I'm afraid you'll only be able to enjoy this set up for a few months- NOT a few years. In six months, the oscar will more than likely need the 55 gallon for himself; they grow QUICKLY and need lots of water volume/space. Those black fins will grow too large for the system even faster.

You're also going to have trouble mixing C/S American cichlids (the oscar) with the Africans. American and Rift Lake species should never be mixed. They have different water parameter and dietary requirements. They also "speak" different languages, which usually results in lots of aggression and stressed out fish.

Crabs and crawfish shouldn't be kept with fish. Small fish will end up as food- and crabs/crawfish kept with larger fish usually end up as a tasty treat the first time they molt (they're completely defenseless at this time). I'd suggest setting up a tank just for them if you're interested in keeping them.

Re: Antisocial Cichlid

molotov256 said:
I was aware that the cichlids could grow to be aggressive, and I've heard that the oscars could get large and aggressive as well. Most of the people I've talked to said that cichlids were pretty much the only thing I could get with an oscar. Is that wrong?
This is not wrong, but its not wholely correct either. The only thing you're going to keep with an oscar are similar sized south american cichlids, in general. There's well over 3000 species of cichlids. Some get along, some don't.

Oscars are in general to my knowledge one of the lesser aggressive of south american cichlids. You're still talking about 12-14 inches of fish that loves to eat everything its mouth will fit around, though.

I thought my oscar would get along with his cichlid friends too, and I pooh poohed the advice of these guys, until stuff started to disappear. My oscar is now living at the local fish store waiting to be adopted by someone with an empty tank!! :)

I agree with Ferret, south american cichlids are the only ones you can keep with an Oscar (ph parameters wise). But many Cichlids either don't get large enough quick enough or don't get large enough period and will most likely become a tasty meal for the oscar at one point or another......
Also a full sized oscar will need at least a 55 gal tank but even that is a bit small, I've read (sorry I cant remember from where) that usually a minimum of 75 gals for a tank is recommended. Sorry for the lack of references.

Back
Top Bottom