Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any ideas how to get food to featherfin catfish

Ok well my Oscar won't give my catfish to eat lol I have tried everything I can think of feed in middle of night I see the Oscar go over and grab food . Then I put food on opposite side of tank he eats all of that and goes over and eats other food to before the catfish can get food.

Any ideas how to get my catfish some more food?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tried sinking pellets?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My feather fin is very skiddish. He doesn't come out to eat so what I do is soak a few shrimp pellets in tank water and suck them into a Turkey baster. Ill feed my cichlids at the other side of the tank to distract them and while they're over there I shoot the pellets into his hidey hole.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

At feeding time mine just shoots out from I don't even know where and just races from one end I the tank to another. I tried those sinking algae wafers but then saw my Cichlid's carrying them around in there mouths.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second the spot feeding idea.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do spot feeding doesn't work and I mean mine isn't shy hes always out during feeding time but gets like 1 shrimp pellet and 3-4 mini cichlid pellets a day he can find the food before the Oscar eats it all will just keep spot feeding though. See if the featherfin will get more competitive and find food quicker.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nocturnal feeding: add some food to the tank after the lights over the tank and the room the tank is in have been out for some hours and not exposed to any light.

In the darkness, your catfish's sense of smell will grant it an unparalleled advantage over the oscar which primarily uses sight to find its food.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine have learned to come out when I feed the rest of the fish, they seem to get plenty. I give them two good sized pinches of sinking NLS pellets and distribute the food across the whole length of the tank.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I worried about the same thing for a while. I also feed my tank NLS sinking pellets and initially I never saw any pellets hit the ground. I "toss" a pinch down in so that a small cloud would hit the water and dissipate in the water flow and inevitably a few would make it to the ground. Eventually it learned to come out at feeding time.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I worried about the same thing about my striped Rafael catfish. He lives under a rock and I have not seen him come out once in the past 2 years. I swear on that. I've camped out for hours of the night watching and he just doesn't come out. He's fine, healthy, and has had the best looks ever. They will find food when they are hungry, it's their way of life and will find little particles floating around.

Tags
catfish, eat, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com