Any way to save these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Southeast cichlids send my order a few days ago despite FedEx mornings of delays, and it arrived today about 15 hours late. Needless to say the water was freezing cold when they arrived. A few shellies didn't make it but miraculously a handful survived. Seven of my cyps are fine but one was dead and two are dying. Is there anything I can do for the two that are swimming upside down sporadically and are inches from death? They're in a box free from pickers.

Attachments

• image-3406809274.jpg
    image-3406809274.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 104
The only thing i can think of is turn off the lights and hope for the best. The least amount of stress and clean water will hopefully work.

I agree, that's really all you can do.

A few weeks ago I had a bag of livebearers show up that were mostly motionless, upside down, and not breathing at all (no heat pack in the box). I thought they would all die for sure. I let them warm up in the bag slowly... and most of them actually survived. You never know. :)

No. :(

In the six months that I've had African cichlids I've seen more than ten fish get sick/stressed/shocked. I've only seen two of them recover.

Right now I've got my fingers crossed for one of the pearlies (l. meleagris) who's still looking ill from the same freezing cold overdue FedEx shipment.

Same here, that really stinks. If you have a local fish club in your area, perhaps it would be easier for you to buy the fish you like from club members. If you aren't exactly in the area, but someone has home bred fish that you want, it can definitely be worth a bit of a drive imo.

I've had my oscar basically die and come back like 4 times. U should get one of those. They are resilient!

I had an Oscar as a kid - the only cichlid I had experienced until this year. His name was Poseidon. He got hole-in-head disease and eventually my neighbor who had several 200g tanks and supposedly knew that it was time to put him out of his misery did so with a quick thwonk on the sidewalk (while wrapped in towels). I've always wondered if that was the right way to handle that.

Severum mama, that's a nice idea - you'd think there's be enough fish around San Diego and the OC that I'd never need to order online. Somehow, though, as I did my research for the first time on African cichlids I became very picky on who and how many I wanted in my tank. And then of course a lot of what I chose turned out to be pretty hard to come by.

It might also be a personality flaw that I quickly got turned off of "regular" species of Tanganyikans like brichardi (no offense folks - they're real cool too) when I saw that they were the most easy to come by. With my compressiceps I didn't want a "gold head" because they seemed to be slightly more common. So I opted for an Mwela, which has amazing yellow and black striped coloring. For my shellies I didn't want the gold occelatus - I got 'pearly occelatus' instead. The rarity of these guys has become a problem since all the females didn't survive both times a bought a few. I've had a hard time finding more and I wanted them to breed! With the cyps, I didn't want just plain Neon heads. I wanted an unusual locale and chose the Mvuna for whom there are maybe two pics in ALL online. Truth be told I'd be happy with any of these fish, and I know I can sometimes be pigheaded about these things but it's kind of been fun shopping around for real specialties.

Yeah I had 2 oscars originally and one of them was 95% dead. He wouldn't move he could only move his eyes around. I sadly had to do the same thing. :(

Back
Top Bottom