Anybody have shelldwellers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to stock my ten gallon with some shell dwellers. Anybody have experience with them?

Any input would be awesome! Thanks.

-Aaron

I JUST sold my 6 lamprologus ocellatus "gold". They're fairly easy to care for, and have amazing little personalities. I got my shells from Naples Sea Shell Company, who has a wide variety of snail shells.

I have a small colony (3 females, 1 male, several fry) of neolamprologus multifasciatus and absolutely adore them, but my favorite are the occellatus gold like mentioned

What sorts of setups did you have for these? And what would a good number of fish I have in a ten gallon be?

I had mine in a 20gal. I'd do one male and 3-5 females in a 10 of the ocellatus gold

herp_mommy said:
I had mine in a 20gal. I'd do one male and 3-5 females in a 10 of the ocellatus gold

Do you get your fish from the LFS? Or do you order online?

I doubt you will find shell dwellers in an assorted tank. The only one by me that has them is aquarium adventure and multis are like $40 us a piece.

I guarantee you won't find shellies in an assorted tank, they will stress to death without shells, literally, and assorted tanks are 90% of the time all mbuna or peacocks, both from Malawi while shellies are from Tanganyika.

My setup for my multifasciatus is a 6.6 gallon fluval edge with play sand, some Texas holey rock, and several Mexican turbo snail shells

Freakgecko91 said:
I guarantee you won't find shellies in an assorted tank, they will stress to death without shells, literally, and assorted tanks are 90% of the time all mbuna or peacocks, both from Malawi while shellies are from Tanganyika.

My setup for my multifasciatus is a 6.6 gallon fluval edge with play sand, some Texas holey rock, and several Mexican turbo snail shells

I was thinking of getting a fluval 10 gallon. How do you like the tank?

It's good, hard for maintainence though, and whenever I take the lid off, they spook, so feeding time for the first few months while they were acclimating was a bit interesting, but all in all, I like it, and it fits perfectly on my side table. I actually bought mine off craigslist

Back
Top Bottom