Anyone else use their angels as a tank barometer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just got two new angels for my house mates tank, and I realized that with the stress of moving, they'd lost their color completely. Which got me to wondering if the angel people have noticed that lack of coloration due to other stressors once they're settled--unusual water chemistry, bullying, etc.

All fish tell you when they are stressed, either by visual or behavioral cues. Color fading, or the appearance of stress bars are common visual indicators. Behavioral is harder to determine because it requires knowledge of how the fish should be acting to know it's not acting right. Both lethargy and being super active are indicators. Too, with experience you'll know the source of the stress by the fishs behavior. Water quality and bullying are manifested in very different ways, for example.

I knew about the behavior, and knew about more subtle color changes. Did not know angels could go from heavily, vibrantly colored to almost straight silver, though lol.

Actually, Lighting can play a big part in an Angelfish's color. In fact, certain color patterns were developed by changing lighting schedules and light wave frequencies so coloration in Angels may not necessarily mean stress. A-holic is on the right path with knowing behavior as a better means of seeing stress in the fish. Unfortunately,IMO/E, Angels are not good canaries for the coal mine. ;)

Back
Top Bottom