Anyone use swords as dithers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 75g with 3 platinum Honduran red points. 1 nic x con hybrid and 1 Severum and 1 L200. I really don't need dithers as everyone is pretty comfortable and no aggression but I saw some swords that I like and since they are from the same region thought it would be nice to have some mid-top level action.

Anyone use swords with CA's?

I was just thinking the same thing if I do a pair of small CA'S in my 33L and figured it would be free treats from the fry.

I think Mog keeps wild type swords as dithers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think Mog keeps wild type swords as dithers.

I keep wild type swords in with certain species of Central American cichlids. They are neither dithers or target fish but rather an aesthetic enhancement to add more movement and color to the tank.

It's actually more common to find cichlids living beside poecilia sphenops depending on the area.

aesthetic enhancement I like that. I pulled the trigger and bought 4 last night. I think I will get 2 more today. My LFS doesn't really have anyone with new world cichlid expertise so they kind of cringed when i told them what I was doing which made me a little nervous but it seem to be working well.

They are doing very well they were basically ignored by the other fish. I was nervous when i didn't see them this morning but one by one they slowly came out.

They really do add alot to the tank. The make the tank seem more full with movement and color at the top.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics. There are bubbles in the tank because I just did a WC.

2 males up top

all 4 at the top

aesthetic enhancement I like that. I pulled the trigger and bought 4 last night. I think I will get 2 more today. My LFS doesn't really have anyone with new world cichlid expertise so they kind of cringed when i told them what I was doing which made me a little nervous but it seem to be working well.

They are doing very well they were basically ignored by the other fish. I was nervous when i didn't see them this morning but one by one they slowly came out.

They really do add alot to the tank. The make the tank seem more full with movement and color at the top.

Now keep in mind I only deal in wild type livebearers so mine are going to be pure Helleri or other equally large species. Most if not all "Swords" you'll find in your everyday LFS will be a X. helleri / X. maculatus cross , have that way since the 70s as a way to achieve the bright colors we see today. So I can't really comment on their behavior with cichlids.

I do have some large wild caught Poecilia gilli that I'm working with and will be added to tanks once I get a good sized colony.

Now keep in mind I only deal in wild type livebearers so mine are going to be pure Helleri or other equally large species. Most if not all "Swords" you'll find in your everyday LFS will be a X. helleri / X. maculatus cross , have that way since the 70s as a way to achieve the bright colors we see today. So I can't really comment on their behavior with cichlids.

I do have some large wild caught Poecilia gilli that I'm working with and will be added to tanks once I get a good sized colony.

I would have preferred wild, but they aren't available around me. Shipping is nuts to NY. Most places shipping has been $60 or more.

I would have preferred wild, but they aren't available around me. Shipping is nuts to NY. Most places shipping has been $60 or more.

I get stuff shipped from the east coast for no more than $30, I have no idea who you're talking too but that's kinda obscene. Although it is the wrong time of year to be shipping fish. I would contact Greg Sage of Select Aquatics in Colorado and see what he quotes you for shipping once the weather warms up.

Yeah I wouldn't order anything this time of year. Just looked at past e-mails

Wet spot and PetZoneSD where the worst for shipping PetZoneSD quoted me $59.93 shipping for 2x juvenile severum.

The best rate was from rapps $46 shipping for 6x 2" HPR

Actually best ever was an ebay purchase of a fahaka $15 shipping

So I was a little high on $60 quote. Still pretty pricey.

It's also depends on what you're ordering, how many you're ordering and how big the fish are. I'd be really surprised if you paid more than $45 for over night shipping on swords from Greg.

For me shipping really isn't a factor because most of the time the fish I'm ordering aren't available elsewhere.

The wild types, all depends on the species. There are some larger growing species that make pet store ones look like dwarfs. Greg Sage sells some of the largest growing species.

Update- My 6 swords are working fabulously. I didn't think I needed dithers but got the swords because I like them and they actually are working out as dithers because my fish are out more than normal. My only fish that was really skittish was my red severum and now he is out front and center quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom