Anyone with experience with apistogrammas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have fallen in love with these fish, but they can be really hard to get in New Zealand. It looks like the double red cockatoo is available from some suppliers. Can anyone please tell me about there experiences with keeping these beautiful wee fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have fallen in love with these fish, but they can be really hard to get in New Zealand. It looks like the double red cockatoo is available from some suppliers. Can anyone please tell me about there experiences with keeping these beautiful wee fish.

Well you picked one of the right species for beginners, the best thing about cacatuoides is they don't need any special care and aren't picky about food like most others. They can be cared for like any other fish, clean water and good food. What size tank would they go into?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

If I am able to get them they would be going in my 180 liter tank. I would not get the other dwarf cichlids I've been looking at.

How many were you planning? You'll see better color and more natural behavior with at least a pair. You could get away with 2 males and 4 females if the footprint is right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would definitely like a pair or one male 2 females, I think any babies would be relatively easy to home.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424293160.158608.jpgcan some one tell me if this is a male cockatoo and if it will get some nice colour in the future?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The color in that pic is all whacky.. how big is it? Looks like it's still a juvie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry my internees been down its about 1inch in size now and yes it's still young.

Here is a more recent pic, I'm unsure to wether its dorsal will gain similar colourImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426229993.773451.jpg to its tail to?

I would definitely like a pair or one male 2 females, I think any babies would be relatively easy to home.

They do lay eggs but getting them to hatch is a pain for most.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom