Anything Compatible w/ Red Devil Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bohte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am inheriting a 40 gallon tank from a friend, along with his Red Devil Cichlid. He mentioned that every fish he has tried putting in the tank, the Red Devil eats them right up! I'm not sure what fishes he has tried (he doesn't know much about fish; he didn't even know the type of fish that he owned).

Are there any breeds of fish that are compatible with my Red Devil?
:fish2::thanks:

Red devils are extremly agressive, my sugestion would be getting a larger tank (above post)
U can maybe mix it with a green terror or an oscar, just keep them close to the same size

RD's are absolutely on a individual fish basis when it comes to tankmates. Not to mention a 55g is usually referred as the bare minimum size tank for a single fish. After all you are talking about a 1'+ size fish(full grown).

What size is it now? That will help determine his maturity (roughly).

Chances are if he's been living as a solo fish and in that small size of a tank he will never allow tankmates. As stated before he has already claimed the whole thing as his, and that's not gonna change.

Anyways good luck.

RD's are my fav cichlids and I also keep a nasty male.

And also the thing is with most cichlids its reccomended that you introduce new in numbers, its not good to just introduce one
Fish. But the problem is that your tank is a Little
Small and u cant overwhelm everything, Try to do 2 more instead of one. Tho thats not a lot of space for these fish it lowers the chances
Of your RD killing the new additions. But also every indivisual is different, some fish are more accepting than others.. If you have a super dominent male, it will be difficult to do this.

Ok tank might be bigger than what I earlier stated. Somebody looked at this picture and told me this tank I'm picking up may be bigger than I expected- which would be awesome. Looking at this picture what would you estimate gallon wise?

Attachments

• image-514248783.jpg
    image-514248783.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 293
Oh man that's even worse. Looks like a 35-45 tall. The footprint (bottom surface area) needs to be a min 4'x12". I think the breeder is like 32"x18".

Yeah you need to upgrade ASAP or you will run the risk of stunting the fish which leads to a whole new list of problems.

It looks like it has some size to it already 4-6" I'd just re-home it already.

Those tanks are great for angel fish and other fish that don't need the larger footprints.

I am inheriting a 40 gallon tank from a friend, along with his Red Devil Cichlid. He mentioned that every fish he has tried putting in the tank, the Red Devil eats them right up! I'm not sure what fishes he has tried (he doesn't know much about fish; he didn't even know the type of fish that he owned).

Are there any breeds of fish that are compatible with my Red Devil? :fish2::thanks:

You really need a 4ft wide tank (e.g., 55g, 75g, 90g) for a red devil long term. They grow up to about 12 inches and anything smaller is going to make it look like he's living in a closet.

Tankmates for a red devil in the tank picture you posted is really out of the question. Those high tanks are more oriented for tropical fish or a few select cichlids.

I would recommend either getting rid of the red devil or getting a new tank for him.

Well.. Lol
I had a small one in a 33 long
But i ended up selling it before it got big i wasnt exactly sure how big they got. If its not that big i wouldnt see a problem.. My mistake lol. Maybe i should stick with my african cichlids lol

Jacobsal91 said:
And a 33l is a 4ft wide, just 1 foot in hieght

Ummm no, a 33L is only 8 or so gallons? Do you mean a 33 long? If so, that's still not 4 ft, it's probably around 3 ft.

Haha yessss i meant 33 long, Wrote it as 33L i didnt even know there was a different one, And it is 4 feet long, i used to own one

I looked it up, it is indeed 4 ft, but it is only 13 inches deep, the fish could barely be able to turn around as an adult. I just saw a "red devil" at an LFS today at it was huge! Although it wasn't a real red devil, as it had was more than likely a hybrid between a red devil and Midas, as most are these days...

As for the 33L, it looked like you said 33 liter, not 33 gallon, that's why everyone was confused

Back
Top Bottom