Apisto Caca variety hybridizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myster619

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering since there are many varieties of Apisto Cacatuoides , such as Orange flash, Double Red, Triple Red, what will happen if i breed a male of one variety with a female of other? Is it possible? And what can happen?

And what about one Apisto with a completely different Apisto?

its very possible provided the tank space/ parameters/ temp etc are alright. the result: a mix between the parents. many fishkeepers hate hybridization, but as long as you dont sell them off or give them to a lfs, they can be your personal experiments.
apistos are very pretty, but is mixing them really a good idea? like how if you mix a load of pretty paints, you only get a mucky brown, it may not be that great and ur stuck with a batch of uglies.
if u want to mix them, its up to you, and post pics if you do, it'd b cool to see the result.
what have you decided to do?

technically.... if you cross the orange flash with the double red then they wouldnt be the official breed.... isnt that a sort of hybrid?

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
technically.... if you cross the orange flash with the double red then they wouldnt be the official breed.... isnt that a sort of hybrid?

No, they are both cacs, itd just be a mixing of strains. Like mixing an orange guppy with a red.

I'm actually curious as to what became of this.
i have an orange flash male and got 2 double red females.
i dont think its hybridization either, but what does happen when mixed?

Are the females double reds? I don't think females are anything other than cacs... they all look identical. Perhaps they contain the strain in their genes? I've seen a chart, but I can't find it. Seems to me like they said female offspring of a double red, mixed with an orange flash will be mostly double red.. but I can't find that chart to verify.

Yeah man both of the females show the "double red" feature in their caudal fins. It's most def in their genes. Its going to be interesting to see what the fry look like. This is just a shot in the dark but isn't there a "sunburst" variety of Cacs? Maybe thats what the "hybrid" is...

Back
Top Bottom