Apisto ID Confirmation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What species it this guy?

• Not even an Apisto (ok then what is he?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A different Apisto species (post your idea below)

• [i:57d4161d9e]Apistogramma agassizii [/i:57d4161d9e]

• Total voters

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i picked this guy up today. they did not have any femals so i only got the one male for now.

i wanted three (1m/2f) Apistogramma agassizii.
although he does not look like any Apistogramma agassizii pictures i have ever seen, he was labled "Blue-Headed" Apistogramma agassizii.

is that what i got?

img_755464_0_d88a7287f7c8794bd1c4db2886d39130.jpg

img_755464_1_c246a6fe602214a2ef32f4c793f7cb1f.jpg

img_755464_2_69e50e673a76a2a7894fe2f53898d7e0.jpg

It's definitely not agassizii IMO, but I don't have any idea what it is. I'll look around and try to find out. It's a beautiful fish, nice pickup!

I think you are right. The pic in the link I provided, the fish doesn't have the black line down the length of its body.

Edit: Hmmm... the female of the specie I provided appears to have a black line. Aren't these fish known commonly as "Incas"?

bs6749 said:
I looked and what I found looked like an apistogramm inconspicua.

http://fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=46648

Check out the middle picn on the top. Looks like your IMO.

Also note the color variation within the same species.
i do not think that looks like my fish so much...

severum mama said:
Found it, I think I was wrong. Too bad I voted! :p I thought all the agassizis had pointed tails, or at least the males. Turns out that isn't the case!

Does this look like your fish?
http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/apisto_blue_faced_w240.jpg
i think that is it!
is it a variation of agassizii?

Michael said:
You have an Apisto Borelli

Here is one of my Borellis
i agree that you most likely have the same species i have... but based on the pictures if found of google image search to compare you are going to have to do a little more convincing to make me think it is Borelli

Michael said:
It's a Borelli. Borellis come in the Blue morph and the Yellow Heads. I have both.

From Jchillins post, the last link shows the Blue Borelli
http://www.plantedtank.net/images/fish/16/62.jpg
ok, now i believe you :D i just needed a few pics :D lol

thanks everyone!

EDIT:
hummm... well the mystery continues :?

i posted this same topic on Cichlid-forum.com... here is the thread there...

someone posted that they have the same fish and it is a Apistogramma resticulosa

check out this link and let me know what you all think...

I still say it's a Borelli, but who knows. They are easilly available around me. I don't find them aggressive at all. I have them with Blue & Bolivian Rams, Cockatoos, Corys, Ottos, Cherry Barbs, small Tetras, Loaches, Pearl Gouramis and I even have Amano Shrimp and Bamboo Shrimp with them and I don't find them agressive at all.

Michael said:
I still say it's a Borelli, but who knows. They are easilly available around me. I don't find them aggressive at all. I have them with Blue & Bolivian Rams, Cockatoos, Corys, Ottos, Cherry Barbs, small Tetras, Loaches, Pearl Gouramis and I even have Amano Shrimp and Bamboo Shrimp with them and I don't find them agressive at all.
this whole thing is frustrating mostly because i need to know the species so i can find a couple females to breed him :? the LFs that i got hm at only has (and only ever plans to have) males because the "femals are to drab and do not sell well" :roll:

I had bought afew pairs of these fish about three years ago, and they had them labeled as assorted apistos. After about two weeks of research I found out that they were A. Resticulosa sp. Steel Blue.

Michael said:
If it's a good LFS they should special order whatever you want.
i can ask them but they are kind of "big" they have the most variety in stock and buying power of all the LFS in the area, if any store in the area has the connection to get anything you could want it would be this store. but they have never struck me as the kind of place you can go in and just ask them to order a fish for you. kind of the corporate "petco" feel in a lfs package :?

sad thing is they are the only store in the area where you can find apistos and dozens of other species of fish

Back
Top Bottom