Apistogramma!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaJesseBetta

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm gettin 2 pairs of double orange apistogramma cacatuoides Tuesday so I I have literally one whole day to prepare for these 4 beautiful fish. Water perimeters are perfect ammo 0 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 did a water change 1 day ago 30% and ph is at 7.2 which I've heard a variety of of different tales of ph and apistos I hear on one hand that apistos must be in the range of 6.5-7.0 and on the other hand that ph isn't a big factor as long as it's between 6.0-7.8 and with a slow acclimation process. So my question to you all is, is there an ideal ph for apistos and if so how can I bring my ph down with out stunning my existing fish without chemicals (looking for a natural solution). Tank info: 55 gallon tank fluval 405 and quiet flow 55/75 plants and drift wood.
Stocking:
1- adult angelfish
1- juvenile angelfish
6- albino cories
1- hi fin pleco
4- bolivian rams 1m/3f

I've done PWC with 1/2 tap 1/2 Distilled to bring down my PH and TDS for my Shrimp tanks. Might work for you ? Or add driftwood. I also use Indian Almond Leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait you are adding Apistos to a tank with Rams ??? Won't they fight ?? I know GBRs will kill Apistos. Don't know about Bolivians. GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have 4 dead apisto's in one night, rams are extremely territorial, apisto's make a statement but will not finish/kill their target.. Bolivians will.. My apisto's are doing perfectly fine in a ph 7.5, they spawned last month..
Edit- apisto's kill too, just remembered I used to have 2 females:/

Last edited:
So rams plus apisto equals trouble looks like rams are moving to my daughters tank I need room any way in case they breed which both pair are supposed to be proven breeders (shoot! They better be at $50/pair) thanks guys?

So rams plus apisto equals trouble looks like rams are moving to my daughters tank I need room any way in case they breed which both pair are supposed to be proven breeders (shoot! They better be at $50/pair) thanks guys?
yah, cichlids are aggressive fish.. The cac's are $50 a pair??

yah, cichlids are aggressive fish.. The cac's are $50 a pair??

Yep, I live in the central part of west Texas and we only have petsmart and a saltwater lfs that lfs is going out on a limb to order me freshwater fish and still keep their 30 day guarantee so he said he's getting them for 40/ pair but insuring for another ten incase one dies he can pay for another which I don't mind cause if this goes well I'll be getting a few red and Pinoy blue angels from this guy I don't mind paying my local lfs if they are able to get me uncommon fish :)

If you were closer I'd send you a pair!! I paid just under $40 for mine.. They're worth it though. Great fish!!

image-4275157968.jpg

image-680896675.jpg

Sold as double orange.. I've seen pics if the sane named fish that look a bit different, his tail isn't fully colored because my nasty little killi's had a midnight snack.. They are great fish, tons of personality, he's gotten big too, almost 3.5"

brookster let me know when some of your fry can be shipped... I bought butt loads of mcmasteri but no apisto. c

Sold as double orange.. I've seen pics if the sane named fish that look a bit different, his tail isn't fully colored because my nasty little killi's had a midnight snack.. They are great fish, tons of personality, he's gotten big too, almost 3.5"

3.5 yeah that's big

Awesomeness!!!! Are they in a tank together?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesomeness!!!! Are they in a tank together?

Yep along with 2 pairs of bolivian rams
(A lot of advise against it) but my lfs said that you can tell pretty quick if your gonna have a problem he said float them and watch to see if the rams are entertained and poking at them if they are there's gonna be a problem but they didn't seem to care just passed a couple times and went back to what they were doing,the two pairs had eggs at the same time and never got too aggressive with each other or their tank mates (3 angelfish)

Hey... whatever works! Each fish has its own personality.. some are chill some arnt... I'd be more concerned with the apisto beating everyone up of they spawn..

When the rams and the apistos actually make eye contact and flare up which I've seen only the male caca. once and the female caca. once and both times they flare up put their head down and back up there is lots of respect in this tank I'm hoping that will be how it is during breeding but everyone has their own little shelter a couple rock caves, a clay pot, a tunnel of tall plants and some drift wood

It should be an interesting tank to watch anyways... keep us posted as this is new territory for me. I've seen my male cac almost bury a barb into the substrate so I'd be apprehensive to throw another sweet looking cichlid in there with him..

Back
Top Bottom