Apistogramma Baenschi Inka 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegundog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Apistogramma Which One?

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of the following species:

Apistogramma Cactuoides

Double Red Agassizi:

I would like to add them to my 29 gallon which currently contains Rummies and Espei's.

Which species would you select for my set up? They are all wild caught.

And any assistance with sexing?

Thanks!

thegundog said:
I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of the following species:

Apistogramma Cactuoides

Double Red Agassizi:

I would like to add them to my 29 gallon which currently contains Rummies and Espei's.

Which species would you select for my set up? They are all wild caught.

And any assistance with sexing?

Thanks!

Any will do just fine I'd get a trio one male 2 female and a cave for each female and you'll be all set. The cacatuoides and the agassizi are a bit more apisto beginner friendly in terms of hardiness compared to the baenschi though. Sexing is pretty straight forward just google pics of each sex you'll see what I mean but the males are always more colorful and larger with bigger lips and longer dorsal fins. Apistos are wonderful dwarf cichlids I wish more people would get into them but sadly not many know about these little gems of the amazon.

What makes the baenschi more difficult?

That's the species I was really thinking of purchaisng.....

These would be my first apisto's.

I do really like the suggestion of 2 females to 1 male.

Thank You!

thegundog said:
What makes the baenschi more difficult?

That's the species I was really thinking of purchaisng.....

These would be my first apisto's.

I do really like the suggestion of 2 females to 1 male.

Thank You!

They are not difficult per say but a bit more demanding in the softer water department. With these guys they are actually pair forming not a hareem spawner like most other apistos. Treat them more like rams but they breed in caves unlike rams but you do need to watch the male if the female is young or not receptive to spawn I've had males kill the females. So a close eye is to be kept you may have to separate them if he gets rough. And condition her separately. Nijssini apistos are the same care as the baenshi as well which is another option. Also they have higher demands as do all apistos for excellent clean water quality. Hope this helps friend:) I've breed these lil guys before great fish! I like your choice!

Jason7894561230 said:
I dont reccomend the 1 male 2 female, they dont breed in groups they pair. If they do then the other female will be killed.

I do believe that's what I said, most apistos are hareem spawners and as long as your tank has enough territories and caves for each female there will be no deaths. The pandurini complex are pair forming.

Back
Top Bottom