Apistogramma male.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfriends3

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I've been meaning to post pics to discover which species of Apistogramma I have here are some poor quality pics of the male. Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140226_161213.jpg
    20140226_161213.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20140226_160603.jpg
    20140226_160603.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20140226_160744.jpg
    20140226_160744.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 20140226_161210.jpg
    20140226_161210.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 76
Looks more like a nannacara anomala to be honestm, judging by the blue face, long fins, goldish coloring and lateral stripe

Okay I'll need to try and get some better photos then and try and get the little female lined up for a photo shoot because its definitely Apistogramma.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How do you know it's definitely apistogramma? Because I'm unaware of an apisto with a blue head like that

You are correct I bought it as Apistogramma sp. From a reputable local bred only aquatic store. It turns out the tank was mislabelled. Thanks for the id. Appreciated

Lol no problem, I own one myself and it's a pretty easily recognizable fish IMO. A great species if you have enough room, otherwise they can be a bit feisty from my experiences

My pair are in a 63.5 gal with dither fish for 4 months all seems good. The male does occasionally chase the rummynose school otherwise no issues.

My pair are in a 63.5 gal with dither fish for 4 months all seems good. The male does occasionally chase the rummynose school otherwise no issues. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
those rummynose.. Always getting in the way! My apisto's try to chase my new Pleco out of the cave, he doesn't budge, than apisto get ahhpisttooo and takes it out On my rummys haha. Silly stuff..

Oh brookster I'm glad you found this thread looks as though my pair of apistogramma are nannacara anomala. This is the mystery cleared up and everyone don't rely on tank labels. :(

Oh brookster I'm glad you found this thread looks as though my pair of apistogramma are nannacara anomala. This is the mystery cleared up and everyone don't rely on tank labels. :( Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
hello! I've see. Plenty of mislabeled fish at the big box stores, I always google them first. Well they can't all be apisto's haha, they're still very cool looking fish!

This wasn't even a big box store, very small local store. They close Monday and Tuesday and I went in first thing Wednesday as that was my only day off work that week. I think I shopped before the tank labels were updated it's my fault though. I'm still happy with what I've got.

To be honest, I'd take these over many of the widely available apisto species, the males are amazing looking IMO

Back
Top Bottom