Apistogramma Pair in a 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueyedbombshel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been doing some research on a single pair of apistos in a planted 10 gallon. I have been struggling for weeks for what I am going to be putting in my tank but I have owned GBR rams and double red/vajita apistos in the past and had success breeding them. The only difference was that they were in a community 20-40 gallon. I know it is probably a controversial topic of discussion, but as I'm reading, it sounds like some are able to be kept this way

-borelli (umbrella and opal variation)
-double red/orange
and
-hongsloi

Any body have experience? It would be a single pair with some pencils and a few shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I kept a pair of apisto panduro in a 10 for about 4 months.. no breeding, plenty of display but no action... setup a nice 20 long blackwater, heavily planted and wooded with almond leaves and they spawned within 8 days... they really appreciate the extra space..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Impressive. I was actually just looking at your post of one of your adults and the little fry swimming around.. Congrats :) it's such an awesome site when they spawn...

I may get started with my ten and do something similar where I move them to a 20.

Do you currently have any schooling fish or just have them by themselves?

Yah. It's pretty rewarding.. i actually set out to breed this time.. it's just them and some snails.. she beats the crap out of the snails. Hate to see what she'd do to actual threats..

Haha, she's brutal... so cool to watch her do the mother thing though, she picks fry in her mouth and spits them back to the bunch, grabs a mouthful.of food from across the tank, swims back and gill feeds it..

I'm so excited to get my pair :) there's so many different gorgeous species out there.. I'm in New Mexico and the only petstores we have here is petsmart and petco.. Totally lame. I'm gonna have to order online unfortunately but it'll be worth it!

I have used tetra blackwater supplement in the past.. I haven't heard of the almond leaves until recently. Have you ever used the blackwater stuff? I also have used bog wood which really does the trick

I use the blackwater, about 5 almond leaves torn up and scattered and a whole ton of wood with natural tannins.

Yah. It's pretty rewarding.. i actually set out to breed this time.. it's just them and some snails.. she beats the crap out of the snails. Hate to see what she'd do to actual threats..

You haven't put your hand in the tank since the spawn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You haven't put your hand in the tank since the spawn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sure I have..no attacks though, she likes me, we're buddies..

They're pretty chill considering.. he wags like a ram at the top for food, i throw mts in there and she goes all raging bull and knocks them all over the place. these fish have totally blossomed in the larger tank.. I'll post an update pic, I've added new plants. Wood and moss..

They're pretty chill considering.. he wags like a ram at the top for food, i throw mts in there and she goes all raging bull and knocks them all over the place. these fish have totally blossomed in the larger tank.. I'll post an update pic, I've added new plants. Wood and moss..

waiting for the updated pic. :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom