Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 PM   #1

Apistogramma Panduro breeding questions?

I'm trying to get my Panduro's to breed. I'm wondering if there not blackwater breeders.

can someone tell me if they are or not?

It's a trio pair in the tank and so far nothing. I've added oak leafs to the tank trying to get tanners into the water to maybe help. But nothing. I've been breeding Apistos for a while now with all kinds of luck. But this pair is giving me fits. I don't know if I'm not holding my tounge right or what.
I know that some Apisto's are dark water spices but I didn't thank that Panduro where. The trio I'm trying to get to breed { the males the one in my avater } are 5 months old. The female has showed her breeding colors sevral times now. But nothing.
PH-6.2
GH-0-
KH-0- to20ppm at times

water temp is 82f { never drops below 79f }
25%W/C every 4 days with a 50% on the tenth day.

Moon lighten runs for 2hrs anight,then sun raise lighten from 5:45 til 7:30, daylight runs for 8 to 9 hrs max.

I'm I just trying to get them to breed to hard. LOL
Any thoughts will be tryed and thanks for the replies before hand.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
What size tank are you breeding them in?

Have you tried different pH measurments? I thought some Apistogrammas were more neutral water breeders?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I did a quick google search and found this article of a successful A. panduro breeding attempt. Maybe it'll help?

Best of luck. I love the look of the A. panduro. Just need more tanks to house them in.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
What size tank are you breeding them in?

Have you tried different pH measurments? I thought some Apistogrammas were more neutral water breeders?
There in a 20gal long.

I've tryed moving the PH from 5.9 to 6.5 over a weeks time. Most of the apisto's like a soft acidic water witha PH of 6.5. On the artical. It helps if you post the link. LOL I've tryed to find a link or someone who has breed them. There is also a couple of guppys and 4 to 6 black mollys in the tank.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Discus are a black water species and I've found that I can usually trigger a spawn by lowering the temp from 85 to 80 gradually. Do you measure TDS? Some black water fish (rummy nose tetras), won't spawn unless it's under 130. Just some things to experiment with.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 AM   #6

My TDC is just under 90, I'm still trying to find anything. Keep them coming . I'll take anything or try anything.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the link that should keep you going for awhile.

http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/A-pandurini.html
Old 02-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #8

LOl Yea I've read that. This morning not 45min ago. LOL I've been looking throw the menber list trying to find someone in this area of the woods. That's been into Apisto's but so far no luck. I'll find someone to either chat about breeding or is breeding them. I never give up. LOL
Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry Weasel F. Sometimes I guess I click the post button a lil too quickly.

Here is a link to the article I found.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...a_panduro.html

He explains breeding(unintentionally, but successfully) his A. panduros at a pH of 7.6 and a temp of 77F.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Weasel, Panduro are part of the Nijsseni complex, and are monogamous.
You can buy a pair, but you are not guaranteed they will spawn, they actually have to choose their partner, and if they don't like the female/male they will not spawn with them.
I find with any member of the nijsseni group you need soft water, or a low hardness. I spawn all of my blackwater apistos in blackwater, using commercial blackwater and Indian almond leaves to soften the water.
I found Panduros quite easy to spawn, but you have to make sure you have a pair. Buy a group of juvies and let them systematically pair off, eventually you will have a pair from 7-8 individuals.
If you only have a male and female you most likely will not get a spawning pair. With the Nijsseni group, even moving an established pair from tank to tank or rearranging their territory can completely sever the pair bond.

Tags
api, apistogramma, breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com