Apistogramma Panduro breeding questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I'm trying to get my Panduro's to breed. I'm wondering if there not blackwater breeders.

can someone tell me if they are or not?

It's a trio pair in the tank and so far nothing. I've added oak leafs to the tank trying to get tanners into the water to maybe help. But nothing. I've been breeding Apistos for a while now with all kinds of luck. But this pair is giving me fits. I don't know if I'm not holding my tounge right or what.
I know that some Apisto's are dark water spices but I didn't thank that Panduro where. The trio I'm trying to get to breed { the males the one in my avater } are 5 months old. The female has showed her breeding colors sevral times now. But nothing.
PH-6.2
GH-0-
KH-0- to20ppm at times

water temp is 82f { never drops below 79f }
25%W/C every 4 days with a 50% on the tenth day.

Moon lighten runs for 2hrs anight,then sun raise lighten from 5:45 til 7:30, daylight runs for 8 to 9 hrs max.

I'm I just trying to get them to breed to hard. LOL
Any thoughts will be tryed and thanks for the replies before hand.

I did a quick google search and found this article of a successful A. panduro breeding attempt. Maybe it'll help?

Best of luck. I love the look of the A. panduro. Just need more tanks to house them in. :roll:

Devilishturtles said:
What size tank are you breeding them in?

Have you tried different pH measurments? I thought some Apistogrammas were more neutral water breeders?

There in a 20gal long.

I've tryed moving the PH from 5.9 to 6.5 over a weeks time. Most of the apisto's like a soft acidic water witha PH of 6.5. On the artical. It helps if you post the link. LOL I've tryed to find a link or someone who has breed them. There is also a couple of guppys and 4 to 6 black mollys in the tank.

Discus are a black water species and I've found that I can usually trigger a spawn by lowering the temp from 85 to 80 gradually. Do you measure TDS? Some black water fish (rummy nose tetras), won't spawn unless it's under 130. Just some things to experiment with. :wink:

My TDC is just under 90, I'm still trying to find anything. Keep them coming . I'll take anything or try anything.

LOl Yea I've read that. This morning not 45min ago. LOL I've been looking throw the menber list trying to find someone in this area of the woods. That's been into Apisto's but so far no luck. I'll find someone to either chat about breeding or is breeding them. I never give up. LOL

Weasel, Panduro are part of the Nijsseni complex, and are monogamous.
You can buy a pair, but you are not guaranteed they will spawn, they actually have to choose their partner, and if they don't like the female/male they will not spawn with them.
I find with any member of the nijsseni group you need soft water, or a low hardness. I spawn all of my blackwater apistos in blackwater, using commercial blackwater and Indian almond leaves to soften the water.
I found Panduros quite easy to spawn, but you have to make sure you have a pair. Buy a group of juvies and let them systematically pair off, eventually you will have a pair from 7-8 individuals.
If you only have a male and female you most likely will not get a spawning pair. With the Nijsseni group, even moving an established pair from tank to tank or rearranging their territory can completely sever the pair bond.

Thanks cdawson, I've got a matched pair as the male and female found each other from a group of 6 { 2x males / 4 x females } They've been togeather in the same tank for a while now. I removed and sold the rest as the other male just wouldn't pick a female from the other females. So I got A pair out of the 6 and have had them off in a breeding tank for going on 8 to 10 weeks now.
In the tank is oak leafs from one of my trees in the front yard. I never boil them before I add them to the tank. As I feel in the wild they don't get boiled before they fall in the river off the tree so why do it in the tank. It sems to help them to color up and the female really colors up { breeding colors }. The tanners in the leafs starts to come out after about a day or so and it just sems more natural for the leafs to shock up the water and to go from floating to sinking.
I've been condistioning them with Live brine shrimp and live Blood worm { there getting a lot of there natural diet } veggies off the vine not canned. To many paservatives in canned to me anyway. I have sunraise,evening,moon lighten on all my breeding tanks to keep them as close to the natural side of breeding and settings of being in the wild as I can. But this pair out of all my Apisto's is giving me the must trouble breeding.
Have mollys and a couple of guppys in the tank to give them fry to eat from time to time if they choose to. Also to let the female have something to fight off from the eggs { If she every lays any LOL } so she's not tempted to eat her eggs.

Now i got a quesion for you. I've heard alot about adding ditcher fish to the tank. But when I do a google searh for ditcher fish. I get nothing. I know I may be mispelling it but still something should come up on them right?

I know this is going to sound like I'm a real dume @$$ but here it goes. LOL

What spices or is a dicher fish and what do they look like?
I've heard of alot of breeders of panduros have had great luck using them. IMO i don't see how they could help. But at this point these guys are the only pair of Apisto's of mine I havn't gotten to breed

I've gotten all these to breed

Cokatoo full red x 4fry
Cockatoo gold x 1 fry
Cockatoo double red x 1 fry
Cockatoo Orange flash x 6 fry
Apisto Nijssen x 2 fry
Apisto Agassizi x 1 fry
Apisto Bittaeniata x 1 fry
Apisto Borelli { eggs now }
Apisto Trifasgiata { 2 fry of eggs now }
Apisto Panduro {{{{{ nothing ever lol}}}}}}

I have 4 more different spices of apisto's coming wih in the next month and from what I'm seeing they will more then likly breed before my Panduro's do. LMAO ROFL LOL

Any thing else I could try that you know of with these guys/gals or any more info you have in your breeding notes you'll share. { Oh wait I'm the only one that takes notes of how they're breeding I thank anyway LOL }

Thanks for the input thats come in or is going to be coming in a head of time.

Back
Top Bottom