Apistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I have a 10g tank that I will be redoing soon. All the inhabitants (male betta, harlies, otto) will be moving out to my new 55g. I want to heavily plant the tank and upgrade the lighting to 4wpg with DIY CO2.

I want some interesting fish in the tank. I am thinking about a trio of Apistos (1m/2f). Maybe Apistogramma cacatuoides or borelli. Do you think that would work in a 10g? I have had some people tell me yes and some that weren't so sure.

Any advice?

I have a pair of cockatoos in a 10 gallon moderately planted right now. They're a blast to watch and very pretty. I just acquired them about a month ago, and they've already bred once. Currently I have a SAE, an otto cat, and about 8 1/4" cockatoo fry with them in this tank. The female will get very aggressive once the fry are free swimming, so you have to be careful with what else you put in there with them. I know that some females won't even tolerate the male. Luckily my male is a good father, so I don't need to remove him from the tank. I know that one pair of the cockatoos will do just fine in a 10g, I don't know anything about the borelli though.

IMO, a 10 gallon is large enough for a pair of apistos, but not a trio. As most dwarfs are harem spawners, that'd only leave a few species as options for your tank. German rams would probably be your best bet in this case.

Well I could cut it down to a pair...if that will work. I won't be putting anything else in the tank...just the Apistos.

I've thought about GBRs also. I have a female in my 55g, but I was just going to add a male to that tank.

I'm not really looking to breed...just want some nice looking, interesting fish in the 10g. But if they happen to breed, that's great.

I may try a pair of Apistos.

You really need at least two females per male with harem spawners; one female would be severely harassed, possibly even to the point of death.

Male apistos aren't concerned whether or not you're interested in breeding because they are.

I'd either look into one of the species that will pair off (like the rams), or get a larger tank and go with a trio of harem spawners.

Well, I know someone who had a pair of orange sunset cacatoides breeding in a tank less than 10g (i think a 6g) and the female wasn't harassed.

I was told that with 2 females, they may bicker...so a pair would work.

I will probably get a pair of cacatoides. The tank will be heavily planted. If the female is harassed I have other tanks to move her to.

Thanks for all the help!

I keep 11 differnt spices of Apisto and breed them. The cockato spices isn't a harum breeder. I keep all my prs but 3 in 10g tanks. If you have a trio pr of cockato's in a heavly planted tank. Then when the pr is forumed you'll need to move the other female as the paired female will harres the lone female to the point of death. The panduro is a harum breeder and the same thing wil happen to the lone female with them as well.
All of mine have spawned in a 10g but the pr in the 75gals asn't even tryed to spawn. I thankwhen there in a larger setting with other fish they tin to shy away from spawning.

Ok, so you think I should get a trio (1m/2f), let a pair form, and then remove the extra female? Sounds good.

Do you breed cacatoides? I'm not familiar with the common and scientific names, or which ones are the same. I want to get the "triple red" variety. They are gorgeous.

Yes that'sthe best thing to do. Once a pr forms remove the lone femae as she will get beat up pretty bad. Yes I bred the Ap. Cockato triple reds and even have some for sell right now.
ef273d25.jpg

That a picture of one of the younger males. I also have a auction on aquabid for them it's buggieboy as the seller. Check it out.

Back
Top Bottom