Apistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi folks,

I found a really beautiful batch of apistos in the lfs that will be ready for sale next week. I asked tho put a couple on hold for me.

Will they be happy in my tank? How long should I QT them? Is two enough or should I get 4-5? Male/female ratio?

Thank you. I'm really excited about the find but I never had apistos before.
:D

In that situation, if I had the room and they weren't too expensive, I'd buy as many as I had room for and see if I could luck up and get a breeding pair. Then I'd return the others. If they were trio fish, I'd get 1 male to every 2 females.

I rarely see apistos in my area and when I do, they are pricey.

I think they are gold or golden Apistos. They're not cheap, but not not that expensive either (CDN$21/pair).

I have seen them in the lfs before, but not too often.

I've heard of a few differnt spices being called Golden Apisto here's a few that I know of Golden Dwarf Cichlid (Nannacara anomala) also a golden krib. Now there is also a ramirezi or golden ram.
Is this the one your looking at
http://www.aquariumsite.com/fish/golden_dwarf_cichlid.php

Also the size of your tank will determan how many you can keep. Apistogramma's are peaceful to other fish but aggrassaive to there own kind. I only keep 1 male to 2 females per 10gals of tank space. harem spawners only need two female and not all Apisto's are harem spawners and will kill the lone female in the tank.
So before you get them you need to determan whitch spices your looking at. If it's the Kribs. They are totally differnt from the apistogramma and will live just fine and breed with 2 or more females. I keep 1male to 3 females in the Kribs.
The golden Ram use to be in the Apistogramma classafiction but is now a differnt spices altogeather but is still sold as Apistogramma in some areas. they can be keep in a trio pairs of 1 male 2 females.
Apistogramma's are a super fish to keep and spawn and can be a great addtion to any tank. If kept in the right condistion. In a small tank no more then 1 spices and a 20g no more then two differnt spices double check the spice again to see if they are harem breeders. Because if they are not like I said before they will kill the lone female. Now I'm not to good with common names of the Apistogramma but can tell you a few thing about them once I find the class name of the one's your talking about.

Back
Top Bottom