Apistos and Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
in my 75 gal i currently have a pair of bolivian rams and a pair of GBR...

once i am sure the tank is back to stabiltity after my recent peroxid misshape... i have though of adding some apistos

do anyone you have experience with mixing rams and apistos? do you think they would be a good fit for my tank?

i have though of a pair of Apistogramma agassizi or Apistogramma cacatuoides

They should be fine together. The only thing I would worry about is the larger Bolivians vs. the apistos that are quite a bit smaller. Don't the Bolivians tend to be even a bit more dosile than the GBR's? I don't think they "bluff" quite as often as the GBR's, at least that is what I think I remember hearing.

I have a 55 with 3 angles, 2 GBRs, a pair of Apisto trifasciata, and a harem of Apisto cacatuoides (3 F, 1 M) and I'm not having any problems at all. Sure there's a chase or two and a lot of posturing, but I have two huge pieces of driftwood and a lot of live plants, so there is plenty of 'territory' for everybody.

I works...in a 75 you could get away with all three and more.

Actually, in seeing my Bolivians and GBR's, the GBR's can inflict a little more damage. My Bolivians only bluff, lol. But I've seen 2 of my GBR males really go at it, and had to remove the outcast. As for other dwarf cichlids, I don't see any problems. The GBR's only tend to be aggressive to themselves, and not other cichlids. My pair in my 29G doesn't even care about the Bolivians, unless they get too close to the eggs. Then they chase them off, but don't hurt anyone.

Lonewolfblue said:
Actually, in seeing my Bolivians and GBR's, the GBR's can inflict a little more damage. My Bolivians only bluff, lol. But I've seen 2 of my GBR males really go at it, and had to remove the outcast. As for other dwarf cichlids, I don't see any problems. The GBR's only tend to be aggressive to themselves, and not other cichlids. My pair in my 29G doesn't even care about the Bolivians, unless they get too close to the eggs. Then they chase them off, but don't hurt anyone.
my bolivians and GBR get along fine, sometime the male GBR and male bolivian will posture at each other but that is all (bolivian is 2x size of male GBR right now) i just want to make sure that no one see a problem with adding apistos to the mix

My two different Apisto species get along fine with my GBRs. The fish seem to be more aggressive within their own species then toward each other. I think I'm going to have to rehome my koi angel because of this. :(

I say GO for it. ;)

I agree with the above. I have a pair of GBR and two pairs of apistos. As of right now they all get along just fine (the apistos are young though). I haven't seen any disputes, the apistos just seem to hide in their caves most of the time.

made contact with a local breeder to get 5 Apistogramma cacatuoides "Orange flash" for 20$ sounds like a good deal to me :)

i did not really want 5, but she says she sells them in sets of five :? she says both sexes are guaranteed this way. that is ok, if feel 5 is too may when i get them home i can maybe trade a couple in to the LFS... there is a good chance that i will keep all five if it is a good m-f ratio! do they do better in a harem? like 2-3 females to 1 male?

here is her description
The parents are very handsome. Males are cleanly colored with brilliant orange fins. Females turn bright yellow when interested in spawning.
i will post pics when i get them, maybe someone else might be interested in her stock, she says she ships

this is my first time dealing with a Local breeder, kind of excited but also kind of nervous :)

Yep, cacatuoides are harem spawners; you'd want at least 2 females for each male. That'll help spread the male's attention around, which helps to keep one female from constantly being chased around.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Good luck!

Would a haram of apistos and a pair of blue German rams be ok in a 100lt and how many female apistogrammas can i have to a male

Welcome to AA!

The answer is maybe you will have to try idk how man gallons it is but I'd say it might be alittle overstocks anyone know WhaI it is in gallons?

Well

Go ahead and get the apistos and see if they are ok if it's too overstocked someone will tell you so my best answer is if you don't know try it but make sure to research how many liters each fish needs for a tank

If yes how many female apistos can i have with 1 male and which apisto would be good

Back
Top Bottom