Apisto's or rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
Or can I have both? New set up 20L will be planted and I will start a planted thread when I get to that point. The only thing that will be moved to this tank is 5 Buenos Aires tetras. Give me ideas!

img_3335551_0_7d53cf829a64638486bd671c6f1007ba.jpg

Filled to level and settle in on the carpet.

img_3335551_1_ab4397c6d074df2320bde0e6e92abb2a.jpg

PS Brookster123 Just like Johnny I'm back!

IMO I doubt you could have both. Just doesn't seem like there would be enough space for proper territories, plus temp differences would be an issue.

I say go for apistos. They're super popular right now, plus these are fish that will actually raise their young. A bit easier to care for too, less demanding. Cacs have some awesome color, but you could try some more exotic species as well. They should be fine with the tetras too.

I would pick some choice apistos. Or.. if you want an active tank? 5 bolivian rams. They're pretty cool man. They do 7 second mini battles..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1453074146659.jpg
    1453074146659.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 116
IMO I doubt you could have both. Just doesn't seem like there would be enough space for proper territories, plus temp differences would be an issue.

I say go for apistos. They're super popular right now, plus these are fish that will actually raise their young. A bit easier to care for too, less demanding. Cacs have some awesome color, but you could try some more exotic species as well. They should be fine with the tetras too.

+1 check out some of the less common apistos like bitaenitae, would love to see them in this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would pick some choice apistos. Or.. if you want an active tank? 5 bolivian rams. They're pretty cool man. They do 7 second mini battles..

Interesting. Is that food or poop on the bottom.....LOL

+1 check out some of the less common apistos like bitaenitae, would love to see them in this tank.

If I do go with apisto's, what's the rule with stocking. How many? M to F ratio?

20 long should be good for a pair of apistos, some people will say go for a trio but one male and one female should be just fine. Harems are really only needed when you have some of the more aggressive male apisto species IMO.

If you pick apistos along with buenos Aires tetra it's unlikely any fry will survive.Id instead go for some Pencilfish as tankmates.

If you pick apistos along with buenos Aires tetra it's unlikely any fry will survive.Id instead go for some Pencilfish as tankmates.

Not looking for fry but I could rehome the tetras. No love lost there they were dithers.

If I do go with apisto's, what's the rule with stocking. How many? M to F ratio?

I think you could do a trio in here. Don't know if it's possible but maybe ????? 2 pairs. If not you can just do a trio. Depends on if you'd rather just do a male/female or a trio.

I'm open to other options also if any one has any. It will be a week or two before I'm ready to stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wet Spot has some real nice pistos lately...
My LFS had A agassizi fire red,borelli today along with the more common.
I was there picking up 6 Beckfordi pencilfish for my hongslio.

Wait did you say 20L?
I wouldn't advise any Apistos in there.
60L minimum for a pair in my opinion.

20 gal long;)

Picked up the sand on my way home today. Going to try to get it rinsed and in the tank. Possibly the swords and spider wood moved over. If I'm real lucky Ill get the filters moved around and at least one established filter on there.

20 long should be good for a pair of apistos, some people will say go for a trio but one male and one female should be just fine. Harems are really only needed when you have some of the more aggressive male apisto species IMO.

^This^
Species are really different behavior wise .I just got the cichlid atlas and it is amazing how different each species will behave at different stages.

Picked up the sand on my way home today. Going to try to get it rinsed and in the tank. Possibly the swords and spider wood moved over. If I'm real lucky Ill get the filters moved around and at least one established filter on there.

So what are you getting for stock?
I picked up 6 A.agizzisi 'fire reds' just today!

^This^
Species are really different behavior wise .I just got the cichlid atlas and it is amazing how different each species will behave at different stages.

So what are you getting for stock?
I picked up 6 A.agizzisi 'fire reds' just today!

Still not sure. Possibly a pair of gbr's again.

A nice clear picture of nice cloudy water. Will do a water change tomorrow.

img_3336404_0_3b8322f106f53502a3d4b23775d57816.jpg

Back
Top Bottom